THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recrowning a barrel... Maybe Malm can help me?
 Login/Join

posted
First, I tried sending a PM to Malm to avoid making a public posting but the forum says he doesn't have PM privileges. I live in S.E. Idaho and a friend said that he thought Malm was near by and maybe could offer his services?

Anyway, I have a Savage FV12 in .204 Ruger that used to shoot tiny little bug-sized groups. Now my groups have opened up despite everything I have tried, cleaning etc. I'm wondering if my crown could be bad?

Does anybody have any thoughts about crowns and such that might help me out? Such as, how much does it cost? Is it worth it? If not Malm, is there anybody near me that has a good reputation?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posts: 13 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 19 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He goes by Westpac these days

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not likely the crown unless you dropped it and buggered it up. Or you clean from the muzzle and funneled it out with a cleaning rod. Just look at it and see. More likely fouling. Or you have fired 8000 rounds and burned out the throat, also unlikely.
Check all screws, and the stock for warpage on the barrel.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks

Address: 7505 So. 2700 E. SLC, UT 84121 USA
Voice: 1-801-943-8563 Fax:
URL: http://www.yourdomain.com
Email: diveboss@xmission.com

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yeah Malm burned that PM privilege bridge a few years back. Big Grin

PM sent.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
One pretty quick check is to take a Q-tip and rub it around the crown at the point where you can feel riflings.
If fuzzies from the q-tip hang up on something you definitely have a problem with your crown, however if nothing hangs up you may still have trouble so this test is not definitive.
Just something to try.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savages don't necessarily have the smoothest bore in the business, so try some copper solvent in the bore or take some Hoppes No. 9 and leave it in the bore overnight and see if you get blue/green patches the next day. If you do then a good cleaning is all you need before spending gunsmithing money.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your help. Westpac got a hold of me, thanks friend.

Per the recommendations of others and a good friend, I'm trying some different bore cleaners. If that doesn't help, then I'll be shipping the barrel down to Westpac for a crown job.

Posts: 13 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 19 April 2010Reply With Quote