THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Gunsmith Question about recontouring a barrel w/ fluting

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith Question about recontouring a barrel w/ fluting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a fluted rifle barrel be recontoured / turned down to eliminate the flutes?? Anyone done it? What were the results good & bad?? 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good god man, turning barrrels is hard enough as it is! Talk about a cluster with all of that inturrpted cutting on top of the normal turning torture barrel jeanies gyrating on the lathe. Eeker

You are miles ahead price, headache, and odds of turning out OK wise with just getting a new barrel. Possible, sure. Good idea, maybe not.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is what i needed to know. thanks

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It can be done with a carbide tool and a steady rest. I coat the barrel with release agent and put cut a toilet paper into a section 2 inches long put the role over the barrel and fill it with bedding epoxy, center the barrel in the epoxy, I turn the barrel between centers and make a clean up cut on the epoxy. then I put the steady rest on the epoxy area and turn down one end of the barrel then the other side. After the barrel is turned down I remove the epoxy and reset the steady rest on a part that has been turned down than turn down the epoxed area as well, than remove the steady rest and make a clean up cut.

In over 30 years as a professional gunsmith I never once got up in the morning and didn't want to go to work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WHat type of diamaters are you turning down to? Have you gone down to something in the orde rof .550-.600" at the muzzle?

What feeds and speeds are you using? Also curious about the carbide inserts you use and how they hold up to the heavy inturrupted cuts.

Sounds kinda crazy, but if you are having luck turing down barrels to small sporter contours, I am all ears and will listen to anything working for you! thumb

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Depending upon the caliber of your fluted barrel and the condition its in, you may even be able to swap someone else for their unfluted barrel. Lots of guys rebarrel to fluted barrels and end up with a spare that gets tossed.

Might be something to investigate.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have found with carbide you need to turn faster than with high speed steel and take a good bite, even with the flutes it won't hurt to take a good bite. I judge the speed and depth of cut by the chip and if there is chatter. I adjust accordingly.

In over 30 years as a professional gunsmith I never once got up in the morning and didn't want to go to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
with a heavy lathe, and sharp tooling with the correct geometry, making interupted cuts is ordinary business.