New
Find
Notify
Tools

Howa Actions and the rebarrelling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Other then the use of Metric threads how difficult are they to true up compared to other more popular actions? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Posts: 29 | Location: Where Taxes are King | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you think there are any differnt? No they aren,t, have fune with your new barrel. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would you think there are any differnt? No they aren,t, have fune with your new barrel. van

Just based on conversations I have had with 2 gunsmiths who for lack of a better word showed little enthusiasm.

Posts: 29 | Location: Where Taxes are King | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The old smith I used to work with hated to work on them because they were metric. He had to change settings on his old lathe to handle the metric threads then change them back. Said he never felt right charging for the change over so he made less money for his time.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always liked those actions.I never got one because my lathe won't cut metric threads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as push feeds go one would have to look hard to find one that had better features. I have owned a few rifles and have never ever had an issue other then adjusting a trigger with any of them

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I've read over on the Benchrest Central forums that some receiver rings have cracked while removing the original barrel. Howa really screws & glues them on HARD. I'd relieve the shoulder first within .010" of the rec ring just to make it a little easier.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
They are quite popular here in Norway, and I work on them quite frequently, mostly installing silencers. I have never had one crack, but they sure glue them on, and they do sit HARD - but not compared to surplus Mausers.
I change back and forth between metrick and inches every day - takes about 1 min. one my lathe. Open, swich cog-wheels and close. Next lathe will do this with a handle!!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The ONLY difference for me is that I don't disengege the half nut at the end of each thread pass. Just back out & reverse feed back to starting point & repeat till threads are cut to correct depth.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the man who taught me what little I know about making guns has made many rifles on this action, and they all shoot. If I were building a push feed rifle for myself, then I would do it on a Rem 700 just because they are easier to work with. But nothing is wrong with a Howa at all.

I hate cutting metric threads and DO charge more for it. It takes time for me to swap gears on my lathe and that is part of the job. Anyone who does not charge for that time is exhibiting poor busienss practice. Evryone needs to run their busienss the way they see fit, but that does not mean what they do is a sound busienss decision.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The metric threads are my only complaint with them, but the rifle can shoot just fine. Have a .243 AI on a Howa that shoots right with anything else I have built.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate cutting metric threads and DO charge more for it. It takes time for me to swap gears on my lathe and that is part of the job. Anyone who does not charge for that time is exhibiting poor busienss practice. Evryone needs to run their busienss the way they see fit, but that does not mean what they do is a sound busienss decision

Marc
You would not believe the number of times I mentioned that people would understand the extra for extra time. At the time he was in his 70s had done it that way forever and didn't want people to feel he was trying to cheat them. He did it that way until he passed away. Worked all day in his shop had dinner went to sleep........ Sure do miss that old man Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Changing gears is easy. What demands so much extra time is most of us with American lathes have to leave the half-nut engaged through out the whole operation. You make a pass, kill the motor, let it coast to a stop, then reverse the motor to bring the tool back for the next cut. I usually have to kill the motor early to ensure I dont crash into the shoulder, then roll the chuck by hand to the stopping point. Much more time consuming, so I charge accordingly.

If extra charges are involved for any job I always explain to the customer up front. No suprises, no complaints or hard feelings.

Craftsman

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
kill the motor, let it coast to a stop, then reverse the motor to bring the tool back for the next cut

Who said anything about killing the motor? You just need to be real quick! All it takes is years (30+) of practice! Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want some input from someone who has used hundreds of Howa actions call Bill Wiseman; (979)-690-3456 his Texas Safari Rifle is built on Howa actions. I believe this is the same action as the Weatherby Vanguard, but I may be mistaken on that. MUFASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby buy Howa actions in bulk and rework them a bit and put in own stocks to make Vanguards.

A local gunsmith here in NZ has used Howa's for years to make bench/target rifles and varmint rifles by the dozen and his rifles have a good reputation.

They are just different to your local product from Rem/Win/Ruger etc.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Vince:
Weatherby buy Howa actions in bulk and rework them a bit and put in own stocks to make
No, they don't. Weatherby has no production facilities, just offices. They contract with rifle producers such as Howa to build rifles according to their specifications.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ricochet, I stand corrected! Local dealer told me that they rework them and I easily recognised them as Howa's.

So who makes the Mk V's? the REAL Weatherby's???

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
So who makes the Mk V's? the REAL Weatherby's???

First ones were customs in Cal I believe. Currently I think it is Saco Defense Corp in Maine. Fn did some work early on. They have also used Sauer, Howa, Nikko, KTG, and SKB/Sakaba for various others weapons with there name on them.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have a Weatherby (HOWA) Vanguard and I believe that the barreled action is made for Weatherby by HOWA and Weatherby puts on the tupperware stock, although it could all be HOWA. They have a "premium" model that they put an H-S Precision stock on it and charge nearly double for it. Those supposedly are gauranteed to shoot sub MOA.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby Sub-Moa vanguard is a no shit shooter.

When I traded in my double rifle I ended up with one and put a Burris 4-16 on it.

Man it was a shooter!

I really wish I would have kept it. But I have 3 25-06 rifles and a 264 Winchester. So it was sold.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Weatherby MkV in .280 Rem and it easily meets its guarantee of 3 shots under 1 1/2" at 100 yards.

In fact with Remington Factory ammo in 150gn Corelokt ist is around 1" which is well within minute of deer.

Out of the box, just fitted a scope and sighted in.