New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver Mounts Again? Help Find Something Nicer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a set of rings and bases to mount a variable scope (6-18X40AO) to an old M70 standard action. I like the quick detachability of the Weavers, their light weight, strength, extension ring availability for variables and the low height of the bases when the scope is removed so I can see the iron sights then.

The only complaint is that the Weavers do not look "fine".

I just got off the phone with Burris and their Signature Zee rings which are Weaver style don't come with extension rings so sure enough the distance between the rings may be too great to get them on a variable or the eye relief will come out wrong. The Signature Zee's don't have an easy, no tool removal system either like Weavers.

Weavers Grand Slam mounts do not have extension rings.

What to do? What to buy?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I havn't seen the M70 bases, but grand slam front base for my Weatherby LT has 2 slots in it. One centered between the screws, and one offset, making the base reversible. Gives about an inch of play for the front mount (front to back).

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the weaver rail scope mount because it is so versatile, and like the Signature rings because they never leave marks, hold tight, self align, and seem to hold zero well.

I would try the Warne Weaver style steel bases (extended front for scope positioning), and use Burris Signature rings. The Warne bases are "plain", generally lower than weaver bases, and available from Brownell's.

I used this setup (standard rear base, extended front base) on my M70 Classic Stainless 375, and think it works great. The extended front base barely gets over the front of the ejection port (maybe 1/4"), but does not hamper loading or function. The extended rear base covered about an inch of the rear of the port, and really put the rings close together, so I went with the standard rear base. You should be able to find a suitable combination.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote