THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Is there a way to determine if a blank has been kiln dried ??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a way to determine if a blank has been kiln dried ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a piece of Turkish Walnut that I'm thinking of using for an upcoming project, but I'm not sure how it's been dried ??

I purchased this blank directly from Turkey.

When I compare it to some of my other pieces of Turkish this piece is much lighter in regards to weight then what my other pieces are.

I've heard that this could be a sign of improper drying of the wood.

I would appreciate some advice before I take the time & money to build myself a stock.

Your help would be appreciate.

Thanks,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I start counting the age of a stock blank from the day it arrives in my shop. Regardless of what you are told, that is all you will know for sure.
SDH

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1821 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read proffessor Hoadley's book, "Understanding Wood"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561583588/103-9874276...44?v=glance&n=283155

The moisture content of wood can be lowered faster without checking [cracking] in a kiln, becuase the temperature is raised, but he relative humidity of the kiln is varied to stay just lower than if projected on an equilibrium moisture content - relative humidity chart. Thus keeping variation in moisture content inside to the wood to a minimum, thus keeping stresses down.

What does it all mean?
It does not matter if your wood got to it's present state via a kiln, what matters is it's present state.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you talk to people who work wood for a living, they will tell you that it does matter. The folks who cut blankss will tell you that they lose a lot more stocks when it is kiln dried. If not they would be cooking the moisture out of them and have them on the market a lot faster.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I asked this question before and found that walnut was a no kiln dry, but the Turks do use it. On other woods they let it air dry for a while and then kiln it down. Cherry, I am told need to be kiln dried to ensure stability.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met a local guy here a few years ago that had one of those portable mills. He also had a kiln. He was retired and in his early 70's. I told him i wanted to cut some walnut but did not want to have it kiln dried and much preferred to have it dry in the air. He laughed and said he used his kiln for everything. He said at his age, he did not even buy green bananas. Smiler

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the wood itself become brittle if it's dried too quickly ??

I would think that the fibers of the wood would rupture if the moisture is removed to quickly ?

I'm sure if the wood is dried under a controled atmosphere in a kiln it would be less prone to cracking & be suitable for a gunstock.

My biggest concern is once I get into this I'll find myself dealing with checks & splits, but I guess I won't know what I got until I get into it ...so what the hey !! Smiler

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldn't the wood itself become brittle if it's dried too quickly ??

Yes

quote:
I'm sure if the wood is dried under a controled atmosphere in a kiln it would be less prone to cracking & be suitable for a gunstock.

Correct also, with emphasis on the word controlled.

Kiln drying is a tool, and as such can be used correctly or incorrectly depending on the kiln operator. The operator must be conscientious and experienced in drying blanks or very likely the results will be firewood.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote