New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser ID Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've come across a military BRNO Mauser and would appreciate some imput as to the model and general quality as a candidate for a rebarreled hunting rifle. The only markings I can see in the pictures are ceskoslovenska zbrojovka BRNO in straight script stamped on the receiver ring. It's got a long barrel and what appears to be typical military bottom metal. Stock forend has been cut off and some really crappy checkering/carving on the grip. Decent condition on outside but don't know about below the wood line. Done a search and stamping is different than what I've seen for 98/22 or VZ24's. Asking price is $140. Any help is appreciated.

Edit...
Found a pic of similar receiver stamping. Nothing on the side rail that I can see in the picture.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You have a VZ/24. Fine action.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a VZ24 made into a .257R love the feel of the action and way the gun shoots. You will not let it set in the safe if it's done correctly.

Posts: 2668 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

Thanks. I was under the impression that the VZ24 had stamping as such on the side of the receiver. Either way, I think that BRNO actions are generally well regarded. I'll see what I can work out.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

The 98/22 and the vz23 and 24 all came with that type of crest. Of those, only the 98/22 had a LONG barrel.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

The 98/22 and the vz23 and 24 all came with that type of crest. Of those, only the 98/22 had a LONG barrel.[/QUOTE]

You win the prize, but there isn't one. Wink Rifle is a 98/22 (verified by script on the rear sight) in pretty rough condition. Also got a karbine marked Preduzece 44 and Mod 98 on the side. I believe these are reworked German K98's from Yugoslavia or Czech? It too is in less than stellar condition with welded band and stamped bottom metal, but the receiver and bolt are solid. Also has the front half of a case broken off in the chamber, but both of these barrels are coming off and I'll use the actions to practice with. I traded two non-functional break-top revolvers for them that I was going to cut up, so I'm out nothing.

Here is a pic of the stock off the 98/22. Guy was an artist with a wood burner.

One of Us
Picture of Curt in Atl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also got a karbine marked Preduzece 44 and Mod 98 on the side

K98 reworked at what is now Zastiva in Serbia.

Posts: 37 | Location: Douglasville, Georgia | Registered: 10 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Czech Brno mausers are fairly well regarded for quality of manufacture and etc. Think the $140 price is well in the ball park price range for what a collector of mauser rifles would call a bubba/butchered rifle. Heck, the action alone is probably worth $140. I say this because a couple of years ago a local gunsmith decided to sell his private stock of mauser actions for around $150 each. Took a dozen or so of them to a local gun show and had no problem selling them. LOL, bought two of them myself.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote