Find
Notify
Tools

Lothar-Walther barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
Does anyone have any experience with Lothar-Walther's pre-chambered and threaded barrels? I'd like to replace a shot out 270Win barrel on my ZG47 with an 8mm barrel chambered in 8x68S, and the pre-chambered/threaded option from Lothar seems the easiest option. But I can't access their website so am a little in the dark regarding whether thay can supply a barrel threaded to fit the ZG47 action, and what profiles are available that closest match the existing barrel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Lother-Walther web page I'm using one one 9.3X62 1909 Mauser project.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con,

I am using one on my 1909 .404 project...I think it's contoured and long chambered and bob will then put threads on it....I have seen it but I forget if it already had threads cut or not ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hey PC, The ART 720, 722, 724 (Mauser barrels)are already long chambered threaded and crowned.
Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC

Be sure and check the bore and groove diameter of your barrel. If it was the pre-threaded and chambered barrel offered as a standard Mauser (IIRC, ART 724), it will require .418" bullets, not the now-standard .423" for the 404 Jeffery. I had to send the first barrel back in exchange for a barrel that could utilize the more available bullets.

Bob

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
Thanks for the replies. Finally got onto the Lothar website and it appears Article 722 is the one I'm after as I want a 26" barrel. Dumb question perhaps but are all Mauser 98 actions whether military/commercial/modern/old threaded alike?
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The art.720, 722. and 124 barrels are threaded for the standard M98 which uses 1.10"x12 tpi threads. As Mr. Burgess has already stated the ZG47 is different. It has metric threads.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=712502&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1

I'm sure LW could thread & chamber for you but it is not one of their stock items.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B.Stephenson, it was chambered and not threaded and it was the model #1450....I hope it is the right one I did specify a .423 barrel.

Thanks PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a LW barrel they are EXCELLENT. As Bob said make certain you tell Woody that you want the .423 bore 404 barrel.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LW are the only barrels that I use these days..I liked Krieger, Lilja, Douglas and a couple of others, all good barrels but since I tried my first couple of LWs I have not used any other since...They just flat out shoot small groups. All my present custom rifles have LW barrels. you will be pleased I assure you...

Posts: 41960 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only barrels I use anymore are Walthers.
No need for me to use anything else when they shoot as good as they do and last as long as they do.

Celt

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
After spending some time on the phone with Woody at L-W I wa sure theirs were the barrels I need for my 404 Jeffery project that John Ricks is working on. My barrels are .423.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1, Very nice. What weight of LW barrel is that? -Fred

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pre-fitted #1200 LW barrel for my Ruger 77/II lightweight .270 W cal. The out-of-the-box accuracy was POOR, despite several loads and manufactured rounds tested. The barrel fitted perfectly without any modification. Now the rifle groups 8-10 cm at 200 m. I'm VERY satisfied, since I'm not a first class sniper and I haven't made a bedding yet. - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in as a LW fan too.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray: I can't seem to access the price list on Lothar Walthers site, Do you know what a pre-chambered and profiled barrel in chrome moly for a 98 mauser would cost? Also interested in their stainless barrels, I think i read once that they use a special alloy stainless for their barrels. Thanks in advance, Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Their site must be down.

According to my last brochure, the barrels were $152 but I think they are up a bit since then.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote