New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!!! base screws with loctite
 Login/Join

<JohnR>
posted
Sure could use some help to get scope base screws out without drilling. I know you guys have all kinds of tricks to get them out.
Thanks for any help!!
John

one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnR

If I understand your question, you have some base screws that have loctite on them? Try applied heat to each screw, using a soldering iron, and then backed them out.

Good luck
cjw3

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
One of the safest tricks is to use a soildering iron and set the receiver up in a vice. position the iron so that the heat is being directed right into the head of the screw. It takes about 15 min or so per screw, but it's safe and it's enough heat to break the loctite loose. Another trick, if you're real careful, is to use a propane torch. It doesn't take much with that system to get them to break loose, but be careful that you don't overheat your receiver. I would highly suggest the first method if you're not real comfortable with idea.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<ol crip>
posted
JohnR,

if you put an allen wrench in the socket of the base screw you can use the torch by heating the allen wrench and transfering the heat to the screw. You will loose the wrench's temper but it transfers the heat real well. [Wink]

[ 01-28-2003, 05:16: Message edited by: ol crip ]

<chuk>
posted
A cousin and I did this two nights ago on the tightest base screws I have ever removed. After bending allen wrenches in circles, we put a drop of oil in the screws and turned them out after letting them sit for five minutes. they were still tight, but they came out.

chuck

one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Besides the loctite, the screws may be torqued up very tight. If this is the case you can set the action up in a padded vise and use a very flat faced punch that just fits the screw head. Give the punch a sharp rap with a hammer. Be sure to keep the punch as flat as possible on the screw head. That will set the head thereby allowing you to back the screw out easily. Use heat from a soldering iron first to break the bond of any loctite present. Just go slow so as not to strip the screw head.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To expand on the use of a soldering iron.

I get a bead of solder to hang on the tip and then lower that onto the screwhead. The solder makes for a much better rate of heat transfer. After a few minutes I give it a shot of penetrating oil and go have a cup of tea while it thinks about its future.

A sharp rap or two from a hammer, a perfectly fitting screwdriver (I've got pretty good at grinding them to fit) and the screw usually come out cleanly.

good luck - edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote