Find
Notify
Tools

Painted Barrel Finishes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
I am in the process of setting up a 308 rifle for a customer.(if the stainless barrel ever gets here)!
He has heard that with these painted finishes, dura coat and so on... retain heat in the barrel after 3 to 10 shots and takes longer for a rifle to cool down as to say just a beadblast finish. I have never used these finishes and can not give him an honest answer.
Question, does these epoxy pait finishes retain heat longer because of the finish?
My thinking is it shouldnt, but he has heard from others that it does, and haveing not used them I can not give him a real answer!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the manufacturers claim the exact opposite, that their coatings help dissipate heat.

In my experience, you'd need to be an extreme geek with sophisticated measuring equipment to see any difference either way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Flat black GAS GRILL paint works great. Just be sure the barrel warm and degreased before painting.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several barrels that are Cerokoted (sp?)
a couple different colors. Black, grey etc. I cannot tell any difference in heat disappation between them and their counterparts, either Blued or stainless without the coatings.
Also have one Chrome Moly blued barrel painted with various flat Krylon spray paint, and it hasn't seem to affect anything, other than making it not be shiney anymore.

Hope this helps some

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your time, that is what I was thinking. This guy is one of the best long range shooters I know, but he worries over everything he hears...and keeps me on my toes. Smiler

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote