New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lengthening a stock question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen, A few years ago I purchased a WR 425. At some point a previous owner had shortened the stock by ta least 3/4 of an inch. It didn't fit me as well as I liked so I added a 3/4" black spacer. It fits me well with a 3/4" decelerator pad but I don't like the look. I've found a cutoff from another stock that matches the color and to some extent the grain. I think it would be far less noticeable than the black spacer. My question is would removing the black spacer and subbing a similar piece of this wood be an acceptable fix both in terms of it being a traditional "fix" and future value. The stock has been refinished previously so I don't think that is a factor. Thanks.
Best.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wood is always a better choice than plastic. The wood extension can be tastefully carved...something like a fluer de lis motiff looks good....even a nice border at the joint

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or you could send it to the guy that does stock painting and blend it to match. Somebody should come along with his name.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the hard work has been done! That is to say that the stock has been cut of square at the butt end and, presumably, with the correct angle in relation to the rest of the stock so that any extension "looks right".

Personally I'd have a Silver pad (with, yes, its black line spacer) correctly fixed. It'll look correct, be functional and at the same time be non-slip when you stand the rifle muzzle up.

It's 100% the best solution. Brownells, aka Midway USA, sell Silvers pads in varying lengths.

Good luck with the project. Silvers pad...it's authentic to the gun. Wood extensions never look right. They just look as if you couldn't afford to have the thing done properly.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If were on the same track, I would just replace the present recoil pad with a 1" pad..Isn't that your objective? adding wood will always show, some more than others but in the sunlight?? Even at that wood beats a plastic insert..If you needed a bit more the leather cover the existing job..Leather covered recoil pads are Gods gift to a stocker..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote