THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Williams Firearms Win 70 Steel Triggerguard...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought I would post this here as it seemed like the best place.

I would like to upgrade the aluminum alloy trigger guard (2pc set -up) on post-64 Model 70 and was hoping to find/obtain one of the Williams units they make.

Came to find that Williams no longer sells direct and the only way to get their stuff is through Brownells.

Called Brownells and this part is not a standard stocking item and would need to be a special order. in addition, Williams would need a 20 piece minimum order to run them. The per piece price is $78.

Needless to say, I am not gonna order 20 of them, though I might buy 2. Was thinking maybe if there was enough interest we could get a group order together..???

Anyone have any interest at all in these? I know it is a loooong shot but let me know and maybe, just maybe, we can get a critical mass.

Bob

PS. This is the part:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...0-steel-in-the-white

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
20 years ago I was a smith for Dakota Arms.
The Dakota 76 is a refined Pre-64 Winchester.
The Dakota Arms standard magnum bottom metal trigger guard rail assembly will bolt right on to your Pre-64 Win. perfectly.
This unit is more expensive than the Williams unit. I purchased one of the Dakota units for $250.00 plus tax.
At the same time the Williams unit was $188.00 but I couldn't seem to get their attention for one. I figured paying a little extra was worth getting rid of any frustration.
The quality on the Dakota unit is really nice and it got the job rolling right away.
You may want to inquire with Dakota and see if it's an option for you.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Timan!

Just sent Dakota an email. Will report back

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I've had several over the years that customers brought to me for jobs that were made by Jim Wisner and his people. They were actually a lot nicer than most of the other repros. I don't know what the cost would be or if they still produce them, but it is an option.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester Custom Shop LA rifle in .338 Win. Mag. that I changed the bottom metal from an outside the trigger guard release to an inside release. The unit I removed is in pristine condition, Machined stainless steel that I had ceracoated matt black. It is a two piece without the spring or magazine box. If you are interested. pm me.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
Also, check out Pacific Tool and Gage. They sell Winchester 1-piece bottom metal. I have purchased them before and they are a perfect fit to replace in a m70 Supergrade or Safari Express.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MLF-thanks for the offer but I would like to find a cr-mo one that I can blue.

Thanks on PTG- but looking for a 2-pc trigger guard, not a 1-pc Assy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Blackburn. Yes, considerably more expensive. But they look nicer, they seem to hold their resale value, and you can always put it on something else if you ever want to sell the gun with the aluminum guard in place.

And they blue well too.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Mr Wiebe have them?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for the Swift Blackburn Units.

Just sent back to PT&G one of their units. Lots of slop in the closed position.

I don't believe J. Wisner makes those anymore.

It is an easy switch to the Williams one piece set up available from Brownell's. They look a heck of a lot nicer, as well.

You have a snowflakes chance of graduating college with common sense to get a group buy for that piece of metal.

I have bought sights and other knick-knacks from Dakota in the past. Extremely well made.

Good Luck...

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys- in attempt to clarify (again) I am talking about a "factory" 2 piece trigger guard floor plate arrangement, not a 1-piece bottom metal affair.

As most of you know, the vast majority of the post-64 model 70's featured an aluminum alloy trigger guard. I am wanting to replace that with a machined steel item. If you click the link in the first post you will see it.

Williams used to, and can, make these. I believe they supplied Winchester at one point.

I know there is no way anyone could put together a group buy for their 1-piece units, but....

I have checked every Winchester part purveyor out there, and the factory steel units are all sold out, and most were going over $100, so there is a market out there. I think Mr. Echols may have even used these Williams ones at times when he used a 2-pc configuration on his legends.

All I all, a very long shot to find, but thought I would try.

Appreciate the comments and time from everyone. I know you are just trying to help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, I'm neither a fan or expert on post 64's However, I'm trying to figure out..do you want all steel including the floorplate or just the trigger guard.

Others and myself make one piece frames. I'm trying to understand the wisdom of wanting a 2 piece unit.

Understand.....I'm not interested in making these at the prices thrown around on this thread. Other mfg's have obviously figured out that there's just no money in it

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane-

Thanks for taking the time.

I'm talking about just the trigger guard.

While I adore the one piece bottom metal that you and others make, for this application I want to go with the OEM 2-piece set up. Though not using it on this, if one wanted to use your XRM magazine, it would require a 2-piece set up, correct?

Regarding the business end, I bought these in the past direct from Ross Williams, so I think he must have made some money on these, though I think he was getting volume from Winchester.

He has since changed his business model and no longer sells direct, only thorough Brownells. This is no longer a stock item fir them and he needs a 20 piece batch to make a run.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could go either way...it's "set up"for the original 2 piece, but removing metal off the bottom of the box, a one piece can be used

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbart2:
Duane-

Thanks for taking the time.

I'm talking about just the trigger guard.

While I adore the one piece bottom metal that you and others make, for this application I want to go with the OEM 2-piece set up. Though not using it on this, if one wanted to use your XRM magazine, it would require a 2-piece set up, correct?

Regarding the business end, I bought these in the past direct from Ross Williams, so I think he must have made some money on these, though I think he was getting volume from Winchester.

He has since changed his business model and no longer sells direct, only thorough Brownells. This is no longer a stock item fir them and he needs a 20 piece batch to make a run.

Bob

That is a hell of a business model he changed to.
"I want to sell what I make. But I will only make it in a batch of 20. But my vendor won't order in batches of 20. So here I sit not making or selling a damn thing."

There has to be somebody somewhere that has purchased what you want and then decided to upgrade further to a 1 piece unit and has theirs sitting on the shop bench. Just need to find out who and where.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The Dakota unit is a no go for a post 64 action.
Pre-64 only, I misread.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote