New
Find
Notify
Tools

SP101 Sight Adjustment?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend recently purchased a second-hand Ruger SP101 (2" .357), and it shoots to the left-- about 4" off at 25 feet. While not catastrophic for its intended role of short-range self defense, it's certainly annoying. Worse, it's off enough that he's attempting to compensate, rather than learning to shoot properly.

We've tried a variety of ammo, in a variety of weights and pressure levels, but they all print left (though there is, as you would expect, some vertical POI change).

The gun has non-adjustable sights. The front sight appears pinned in, and the rear is part of the frame.

So my question for the assembled is: what can be done to improve the situation? There must be some ingenious solution in the gunsmith's bag of tricks.

Thanks!

Pertinax

[ 12-16-2002, 14:32: Message edited by: pertinax ]

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send it back to Ruger. They will probably put a new barrel on free of charge. They really have a great reputation for customer service.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
For many years the big revolver makers "adjusted" POI by smacking them with a lead hammer, but your's seems too far off to do that.

I'm *guessing* at about a 5inch sighting radius?

That means the sight has to be moved .066 to zero it.

It sounds like the receiver was threaded crooked.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Pertinax,

Just had a "Rugler" in the shop recently shooting too far to the left as is yours. First thing I always look for, and usually find in these cases, is a barrel that has either not been pulled up enough to square the front sight to the frame, or has over run it's mark. The fix in this case was to screw the barrel in a tad further which brough the sight up straight and moved the group to the right where it belonged.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Malmborg,

Is this a job a typical gunsmith can handle? Or should I really consider sending it off to Ruger?

Just curious. Thanks.

Pertinax

<G.Malmborg>
posted
If the problem is indeed the verticle alignment of the front sight, then any gunsmith who works on revolvers should be able to pull this off. IF however, this is not the problem, then you may wish to let Ruger warranty the fix.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good news! I took the gun to a 'smith, and he quickly identified that the crown is improperly cut. Sure enough, it's visibly deeper on the right side. Ruger would presumably do it for free, but I asked them to do it.

Happy ending, after all.

Pertinax