Find
Notify
Tools

Lever action max cartrige length?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, what is the max length that can fit in different lever guns?
Win 94? Is top and angle eject the same? It looks like my Win 94 top eject is about 2.6".
Marlin 336? Is this the same basic action as the 45-70 is built on?
Seems like I read someplace about the Marlin being built into a 50-110?
Is the rim essential for proper feeding? Or could I go with a WSM style case? Seems like I heard about a 356 Win feeding 358 cases fine?
Thanks.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Lar,
Marlins from the factory feed max length of 2.5 to 2.6 (depending on the individual gun). 2.5 is the spec. The Marlin can be modified by a competitent gunsmith to feed to 2.7. DRC gunsmithing was said to make a Marlin 336 action feed a 50-110 but it was a one-of and not for use commercially. The 336 is the same action used on the 45/70 although there are some differences in threads and how the threads are cut between different models. In working with the lever actions remember that they are designed to work at lower pressures than bolt actions. A WSM or 358 case will not allow you to use a cartridge that exceeds the strength of the action. If you want max power from a Marlin or Win 94-- that cartridge would be a .50 Alaskan. If you want a 50-110, purchase a Winchester 1886. If you want a modern cartridge get a Browning BLR or the Winchester 1895.
hope this info helps.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will find a little info about cartridge length in the leverguns on Mic McPherson's website. He modifies leverguns for longer cartridges and offers different lengths. He says the Marlin can be made to feed longer cartridges than the Win.

The 336 does not need a rim as shown by the 35 Rem. The 94 is designed to use the rim as a cartridge stop. I know people say the 94 does not need the rim in 356 but I would not trust it! My 94 in 356 jams because the cartridge stop is worn. I fail to see the difference between a worn cartridge stop and no rim!