New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prety cool small ring mexican mauser.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently traded for a 1936 mexican small ring mauser. I have not got a chance to give it a decent try out yet but I hope to soon.
Its been sporterized quite nicly in my opinion, and the weaver K4 that was on it and silver timney trigger would tell me it was probably done a long time ago.
I doubt it was ever hunted after the sporterizing cause it looks like it was done yesterday.
What do you think of this action ?
If the barrel it has shoots good it will stay on there and i will just put a better stock and some NEGC sights on her.
If it shoots poorly it will probably become my 3rd Roberts, or mabye a .260 Rem or 6MM Rem.
Are these good strong action ?
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
I have used four of these actions for two 257's, new barreled 7X57 and 284. They worked well for me but were sold before being shot extensively. I did not check the actions for hardness or have any heat treating done. Perhaps others might know if hardness is a factor with these actions. BTW an earlier Rifle magazine, issue 90-something ( no longer have it) ran a good article on building an extra lightweight 257 on this action, I think around 6lbs w/wood stock and scope.

Posts: 86 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Larkin.
I shot mine today, and I ran out of downward elevation adjustmant on the bushnell 3200 3X9 I put on it.
A couple of fellow oldtimer gun loonies (like me) looked at the rifle ant they agreed the front reciever ring was a little taller than the rear.
I tried to varify this using strait edges and such, and it looked to be mabye a 16th taller I really had no way to secure the rifle in a level position so i can't be too sure,
Any way , I put a taller rear scope ring on, the front is a low and rear a medium. It seems to line up a little better.Do you recall anything like having to shim the rear base ?
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
The rear bridge is supposed to be a bit lower then the reciever ring. You don't mention what mount is on the rifle but I suspect someone put incorrect ones on. Most any brand mounts made for the 93'-96' Mauser should work well on the small ring, intermediate length 98's like your Mexican. You can shim the bases with almost any kind of metal or buy shims from Brownells but this is not a desirable way to correct the problem.
The Mex Mausers I have worked with impressed me as well machined and fitted and others posting here described them as very desirable. A lot of them have bad pitting under the stock line, however. Hope this helps.

Larkin
NRA life, FFL

Posts: 86 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Milsurp mausers that have the rear bridge contoured like the commercial models are often done without regard to keeping the scope bases to be used in a plane. Then you must factor in variances (tolerances) in the scope bases to be used. Shimming is often required.

To avoid shimming, I request the customer supply me with the type of bases he ntends to use so I know just how much material to remove. Another route i sto have custom bases made. Most folks just opt for shims or Burris Signature rings.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote