Find
Notify
Tools

Houston Area Re-Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted
I have a Weathermark Alaskan on the Classified that is not selling and I'm thinking about just keeping it and re-barreling to 300 H&H.

Any feedback on Blackstar Accumax barrels? Who would you go with??

Tim

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They were somewhat popular with Houston guys for a short time when cryo treating was the rage a few years back, but havent heard much about them lately, and never personaly used them.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
tarbe
I don't have any first hand experience with Blackstar, but 2nd hand feedback ( take it for what it is worth) is similiar to G C's. Their advertising didn't match their results in 3 examples I'm aware of .
Pete Piepper in Hempstead does excellent work at very reasonable rates and was not too backed up the last time I was there in February.
Larry Feland on Little York does excellent work also, but is more noted for shotgun and stock work.
Of course there is Charly Sisk in Dayton. I understand he knows how to screw a barrel onto a receiver also.
good luck
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I heard about the same on Blackstar, not being able to live up to the accuracy claim, but you never know.

Myself and 8 or 10 guys I know make the 2 1/2 hr trip to Refugio Texas and let Dewight Marshal rebarrel and build guns. He is very good and buy far the best priced. He is building me a 404 Jeffery. Now I live in Corpus and don't have to drive as far. But if I still lived in Houston I would still be making the drive, but you can ship to any gunsmith for work. But if your like most of us, you like to look a man in the eye before you give your money away.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Tim

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim: do a search on this topic "Blackstar's stanless steel barrels" in June of '03. Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the Blackstars were Lothar-Walther barrels with a bit of Cryo. I've never been a fan of the cryo so I use the LW as they come!

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if they work on that particular gun, but Matchgrade is real close and they do good work. Actually, I think it is MG Arms, Inc. now, but Kerry O'Day and his wife, Carol, own and run it and they are very active in the Houston Safari Club. Their place is right by Carter's. The contact info is: www.mgarmsinc.com for their website and the phone number is 281/821-8282. If you call, tell them Shannon sent you!

Good luck,

gotogirl3

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont know much about the blackstar barrels, but smith wise in texas you got sisk, and jeff hicks of hd rifles. There may be others but those two would definitely be my first choices.