New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Scout rifle problems
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I gave up on the scout rifle concept and instead have begun to focus on an excellent practical carbine on the Mauser action and in .308 because I never was able to "make weight" and Steyr had to goto aluminum and plastic to get it done and I don't really care for it.

Somehow my mind's eye keeps converting it to a tactical practical carbine. I still want a peep on the rear bridge BUT I would also like to mount a scope in the traditional fashion- a protected adjustable picatinny peep base fit to the Mauser rear bridge? Not much space there to work with... 20" barrel but not featherweight and a well fitting stock with steel buttplate, no cheekpiece, 8" forend, and if I had my way, a picatinny quarter rib.

Ever handle a Pre War Winchester Model 70 Carbine??? I think they had the concept a bit early!

I am troubled by putting a short .308 round into a standard sized mauser action. Aren't the 7.65 Argentine and the .308 similar sized rounds??? Shouldn't the 1909 Argentine make an excellent .308 for feeding and function???

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Basically a std mounted scope is optically superior in every way to the forward mounted scope. Maybe Gunsite or a training school could teach me a good reason to use the forward scope but at the moment I just don't see it.

djpaintles,

I figure the forward mounted scope is mostly there because Jeff Cooper prefers a ghost ring aperature rear sight. That rear aperature sits on the rear receiver bridge of a bolt gun, so the scope needs to go someplace else. I shoot with both eyes open and a rear-mounted (normal) fixed 4x scope, and I don't have any trouble picking up the sight picture.

H. C.

All,

Thanks for the suggestions about the Ruger and the Steyr. I'm left handed. It saves me lots of money on cool guns.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Could a person use a dot sight on a scout rifle and dispose of the glare problem? I am ony asking because I have shot a few IPSC pistols with dot sights and have never experienced a sun flare. John

Hey John, You bring up an excellent point.

If your Red Dot or Holographic sight "does not" have the rear lens coated(and I see no reason it should), then the Scope Flare issue (as small as it is) would possibly be eliminated. I'd suggest it just depends on the "reflective"(or non-reflective as the case may be) quality of the first lens your eye sees when looking at it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't need magnification I can't think of a better site for a quick shooting than an Eotech holosite. One would work great on a scout rifle. Especially the 376 Scout......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I toy with the idea now and then of buying or building a for-real Scout rifle.

I have heard one criticism and imagined another. I am iterested in hearing any advice on these points.

First, I have heard that the forward-mounted scope is problematic, because any time the sun is anywhere behind the shooter, the main thing the shooter sees in the ocular lens of the scope is a tiny and very bright image of the sun. A normal scope doesn't have this problem, because teh shooter's head or the brim of his hat shades the ocular lens.

Second, I have wanted Pachmayr flush-mount sling socket things ever since I first saw them. Now I'm not sure. They are slick and nice looking, but what if I want to use a bipod? I am only familiar with the Harris bipods, and these attach by way of a standard sling swivel stud. Are there flush-mount socket adapters for tripods? Do I need to have flush mounts and a regular stud? How ugly would that be?

Again, I am sure that these problems are not overwhelmingly impossible to deal with. If anyone wants to poo poo or minimize them or tell me what the solution is, I'd be glad to hear it.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all if you can find a Steyr scout at a price you like you might buy it. It solves most of the problems you mentioned with the built in bipod.
On my two scouts I experimented with the forward mounted scope and didn't care for them at all. I went with low powered variables on them. With the low powered variable you can still shoot both eyes open and have an option to crank up the power for a longer shot. You also have a far superior field of view.
Basically a std mounted scope is optically superior in every way to the forward mounted scope. Maybe Gunsite or a training school could teach me a good reason to use the forward scope but at the moment I just don't see it.
Pachmayr did at one time make a bipod adapter for their flush mount swivels - I had one. I don't know if they still make them or not. The issue that I see with using it is that if you use the bipod adapter pin to attach a bipod you can't then attach the sling to the bottom of the bipod with a flush swivel stud. You either need to leave the bipod on full time and use a std sling swivel on the front to attach to the bipod, or not use the sling with the bipod. I think that the best solution would be to just use an extra swivel stud just for the bipod in front of your flush swivels.
I've never had the sun in the ocular of a forward mount scope, but probably because I didn't use it long before I switched. Good observation.
Overall I still like some of the concepts of the scout rifle. I think the Ching sling is great. The short handy rifle is great in tree stands, heavy brush, shooting houses etc. I've banged the barrel of a longer rifle too many times on the roof of a stand the Scout minimizes this.
Good Luck with your project, it's worth the effort...........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a Scout for years and never had the scope problem you describe. But HunterJim has, and he has posted about it here and other places. A search for his posts would be worth your time.

Your comment about swivels and the bipod leads me to think that you're considering a custom Scout. Unless money truly is no object or you need a peculiar chambering, I would buy a Steyr before I built a custom Scout. Building one that makes weight and is durable is fraught with technical problems that few people can handle properly, and those people charge a lot more than you'd pay for a Steyr. If you have to do this on a budget, either put it off until your budget gets bigger or find a used one. You will well and truly screw yourself if you try to build a cheap Scout.

The Steyr will work right from jump street, is more friendly to non-Scout optics and will have better resale if you get tired of it. Hope this helps, Okie John.

posted Hide Post
I built a scout rifle for my son because he is left eye dominate and right handed. As a new shooter he tried to climb over the stock to shoot either iron sights or a standard scope. A converted M96 with a handgun mount at the mil. sight location and a Barris long eye relief 2X works for him. He is now 22 and soon to get out of the US Army. He now shoots with both eyes open using his right eye only. The scout scope concept has taught him to shoot well. Four PA whitetails have fallen to his "Scout" 6.5x55. I now have 2 grandsons with the same "situation". I have one 7x57 so converted and two in the safe to work on. The scout concept is great because it is an easy fix for the eye dominance problem. I will down load the 7X57 ammo to an appropriate level for the "new" shooters as I did for my son to begin. The origional mil length stock will be just about right for these guys, maybe shortened some at first and then added to with a recoil pad. I think that the scout concept is excellent.

Posts: 15 | Location: Indiana, PA | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Henry,

Good comments on the scout from the posters: I did indeed lose a great nyala bull from sun interference with my scout. That started my serious examination of the utility of the scout for hunters.

You could go to Gunsite and shoot the scout and never have a problem. The scouts work well on ranges, especially from 8:00a to 5:00p I like to say.

I would not worry about the bipod. I have only used the Steyr Scout bipod to hold the gun off the ground as a rifle rest.

I still like the scout's handy characteristics, and I use one frequently for deer hunting in blinds. I just mount the scope in conventional position and go hunting.

For a scope I recommend a 1.75-6X40 variable because the flexibility works best for hunters.

If you want to convert another rifle to scout, I would start with a lightweight rifle with detachable box magazine and an 18" to 20" barrel. Add a third swivel and Ching Sling, and then go hunting. Don't worry about the forward scope and the bipod, all the charm of the scout does not depend on them.

I built one before the Steyr Scout came out on a Tikka carbine.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... First, I have heard that the forward-mounted scope is problematic, because any time the sun is anywhere behind the shooter, the main thing the shooter sees in the ocular lens of the scope is a tiny and very bright image of the sun. A normal scope doesn't have this problem, because teh shooter's head or the brim of his hat shades the ocular lens....

Hey Henry, Yes indeed the forward mounted scope "has the potential" to create Scope Flare. As Jim mentioned, the time to be the most concerned about it is at Sunrise and Sunset when the sun angle is close to the horizon.

But, it could also happen anytime the sun is behind you. For example if you were in a high Stand and aiming at a Deer/Hog/Bear relatively close to the Stand. Then the slight upward tilt of the rear scope lens has a chance of reflecting the sun behind you.

If you shoot any pool, think about a bank-shot. There are some similar angles between the sun, scope and your eye that can create this problem.

You can still get Scope Flare with a regular mounted scope. If you are right handed and the sun is over your right shoulder at about 5 o'clock, it can get you. But, if you are shooting across a rest of some sort, you can sometimes block the sun with your off-side hand by bringing it across the top of the scope and coming back to your forehead. You can't do that with the forward mounted scope.

Some of the "features" in Col. Coopers original design are absolutely pitiful for a Military situation. However, they would work just fine in the civilian world since we tend to avoid crawling through quagmires on a Deer hunt.

If you know someone with a scope mounted on a revolver/pistol, borrow it long enough to go out in the yard with the sun behind you at an angle. Aim away from the sun, at something up close and then farther away. You should be able to see what we are talking about as you raise the scope.

---

I like short lightweight rifles myself and have a good many. Just don't have any with the Scout features. That dosen't mean one wouldn't be perfect for you though. Just make sure you can still mount a scope atop the receiver in case you want it there.

For those of you that have one with the forward mounted scope, where does the rifle balance in your hand when you carry it? Right at the rear of the scope? Half way between the rear of the scope and the receiver?

And do the Iron Sights interfere with your grip, or does yours have the Peep sight?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you think of Ruger rifles, they now offer an option that looks like this:

The sales pitch is here:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/News-11-11-2004E.html

Too bad they didn't include a rear peep and front sight.

I've got a Guide Gun with a 1.5x Leupold pistol scope mounted on a XS Scout Scope Rail. Haven't got to hunt with it though, my son or my fiance always snatch it up before I do.

It seems very fast to get on target and the couple of moving targets I've attempted seemed very easy to hit. Never had the problem with glare, but that doesn't mean I won't if I ever get to take it in the woods and see that dream buck at last light. . .

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I did my first scout just like the Ruger idea. I had a Tikka carbine (their Battue model), and took off the iron sights. A Ruger #1 base fit that barrel perfectly, and on it went.

And I went hunting. My first critter was a California wild pig.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Could a person use a dot sight on a scout rifle and dispose of the glare problem? I am ony asking because I have shot a few IPSC pistols with dot sights and have never experienced a sun flare.

John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Henry:

Every design concept is a compromise and the Scout concept is no different. I like the forward mounted scope and have not had the problems HunterJim has had, but I have had the problem of getting "lost in the scope" with a conventionally mounted scope. The small objective of the available Scout Scopes shares the low light disadvantages of other scopes of similar objective size.

One advantage of the forward mounted scope that hasn't been mentioned is that it leaves the loading port unobstructed, and on rifle equipped with stripper clip guides, allows stripper clip loading. With a magazine-fed or closed-top action these points are moot, but with a Mauser-style action, it does make for easier loading, unloading, and clearance of misfeeds, etc.

I agree with HunterJim that the bipod is the least valuable feature of the Scout concept. It's only worth having if it's integral to the forearm and of insignificant additional weight.

My standard advice to those who are interested in trying the Scout concept is to buy a Savage Scout. The new Ruger Frontier is a new option in this regard at a bit higher price point. The next option is to start with any lightweight carbine (Model Seven, Winchester or Ruger Compact) and use an Ashley/Clifton mount to add the Scout scope. The forward scope is the most distinctive feature of the concept, so you need to be sure that you're comfortable with it and that it works for you before worrying about backup iron sights, bipods, etc. Of course, I like to encourage testers to include the Ching Sling or Safari Ching Sling in their initial evaluation, as a true shooting sling is, in my opinion, the second most distinctive element of the concept.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Henry:

Of course, I like to encourage testers to include the Ching Sling or Safari Ching Sling in their initial evaluation, as a true shooting sling is, in my opinion, the second most distinctive element of the concept.

Eric's sling designs are very useful. My wife fitted a third flush swivel attachment on her otherwise standard M70, and uses a Ching Sling. They work just as well on a conventional rifle, and encourage proper sling use in the field.

jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ropes, that is exactly what I did with my steyr scout. Binned the scope that came with it as part of the package, because of the glare problems in the late afternoon light. Fitted a Trijicon 6.5 MOA dot reflex. Behold, no more glare problems! It has been on the rifle for a year, no problems so far. It is no precision scope, but works fine on deer sized critters out to 250m.
Both eyes open, put the dot where you want the bullet to go, and squeeze. Deer usually falls over, unless I screw up.

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote