New
Find
Notify
Tools

RimRock stock Quetion.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a custom PRE 64 model 70 featherweight 270. It has a canjar trigger a cryoed Pac-Nor barrel (installed by them)And Cammo rim rock stock,
Throw in my VX3 and the cost of the doner rifle Im am into it about 2 grand. I can not seem to get this thing to shoot near as well as some of my factory rifles at about a 3rd the cost.
I am comming to the conclusion that the culprit is the stock.
When I hold the rifle with the barrel in my left hand I can easily pass the doubled dollar bill test down the channal. but if I move my left hand to the stock it bows the stock to the point it makes contact with the barrel near the fortip. Belive me I have sanded the hell out of it. Do you have any experence with the rimrock stocks? I was thinking of glassing say an inch and a half in front of the lug, in an effort stiffin the forarm part of the stock. any ideas ? thanks ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
i had a simular problem with a post 64, my gunsmith sanded the stock through the outter skin then rebedded the stock with fiber glass..I'd call Borden and ask them to fix it.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a bedding problem to me. Was it done correctly? I have a pre-64 in 338 Win Mag in the same stock and don't have a problem. If you talk to Jim Borden and he suggests you send him the rifle, by all means, do it! It will be well worth the money.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote