Find
Notify
Tools

Krag barrel needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
I'm looking for a cheap replacement barrel for a friends sporterized 30-40 Krag. Anyone have a take-off in decent shape?

If I can't find one, anyone know how difficult it is to thread a blank for the Krag? Are there any take-offs that can be made to work?

Thanks

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I'm looking for a cheap replacement barrel for a friends sporterized 30-40 Krag. Anyone have a take-off in decent shape?

If I can't find one, anyone know how difficult it is to thread a blank for the Krag? Are there any take-offs that can be made to work?

Thanks

It’s a square thread (10 TPI) and the extractor cut is on the top rather than on the side, so I doubt you will find many non-Krag barrels that would work well.

Numrich sells pre-threaded/chambered Krag carbine barrels (22 inches) for about $195.00 I believe. That’s probably allot cheaper than what it would cost to have something modifed.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Comments on the Krag collectors forum over the last couple years say the Numrich barrel quality is abysmal.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the Krag barrel,but the Numrich
22 barrels and liners are CRAP.
A good uncut Krag barrel is realy scarce, and costly. Get someone to turn a long blank to the
correct contour, or settle on a shorter barrel.
A while back there were Springfield A3 barrels turned to fit Krags, may still be around.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Springfield barrel idea. I used an 03A3 barrel to make a Kraig barrel. There is enough meat to do it. You will need to know how to use your lathe though. Threading, chambering, fitting and headspacing is no different than other bolt actions. I would figure most of a day to make an 03 barrel fit a Kraig. But, I am a hobiest and work slowly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Toomany, shortened Krag barrels show up with some frequency on ebay at reasonable prices. An original full length barrel with original finish is very expensive, but the restorers have less use for cutdowns. Two other places to ask are the Krag forum at http://www.jouster.com, and the Krag Collectors Association forums which you can locate through Google.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I sure appreciate the replies.

I knew the threads were square but someone said they were left-handed threads; anyone know? I know someone who will probably have a take-off Springfield barrel so I may try that.

Thanks for your help!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Norwegian Krag has left hand threads.
US Krag shows,in my book as right handed.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
US Krags have square right hand threads 10tpi
Danish Krags have right hand V threads 12 tpi

I don't know about Norwegien Krags. Maybe they have left handed threads

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think someone might be confusing left hand “twist†with left hand “thread.â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Checked my notes to confirm my memory. Norwegien Krag 12TPI left hand thread. It also has left hand twist rifling.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

Thanks

You might try Joe D’Christopher (215) 297-8103.

I have bought Krag parts from him in the past and he is good guy...very honest and his prices were reasonable. He always seems to have at least one or two of just about everything for Krags on hand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that Joe DeChristopher married a daughter of the old Stokes firm that sold so many Krags in the 1920s,30s and 40s and they inherited boxes, hundreds of pounds, maybe tons, of Krag and trapdoor parts. Ask Joe about the parts for an incomplete Krag Officers Model that he found ........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe was the one and only person that I found that had those stupid hinge pins with the butterfly head that holds the loading gate cover on a Krag.

I needed two of them and was about ready to give up finding any when a guy on the Krag forum suggested Joe.

I called him and he had exactly what I needed. Nice guy and very knowledgable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Correction, name of firm was W. Stokes Kirk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that the right number for Joe Christopher?.
That nubler is listed to another person.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
Is that the right number for Joe Christopher?.
That nubler is listed to another person.
Good luck!

That’s the last one I had for him, and that was a year or so ago.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Here's one on eBay. Don't know enough about them to lnow what to pay, though.

Krag barrel

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote