New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Base Help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have realized by trying to mount and boresight my customized VZ-24, that the hole for the rear scope base were drilled off center to the bore. You can visibly see the scope pointing to the right in comparison to the bore.

After mounting and boresighting two scopes, it appears that using all the adjustment possible in the scope(s), the bullet will still be off by 2-3 feet at 100 yards.

Is this correctable by using standard weaver bases and Millett windage adjustable rings(a local gunsmith's suggestion)?

Should I just have the holes bored and retapped to a larger screw size?

I have also considered using offset Burris Zee rings.

Will any of these ideas provide enough windage adjustment to bring the scope back to square? What is my best option? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 35 | Location: NC | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
what base and rings are you using.

Posts: 15 | Location: SE North Carolina | Registered: 19 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bases and rings I am using are Warnes that came on the rifle when I bought it.

You can look from the top of the rifle at the rings and tell the rear base is angled to the right.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
The Burris rings with offset inserts would be your best quick fix. Try them and see if you can get adequate windage adjustment.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I emailed Burris and they said I could get 40" of adjustment using two of their + 20" inserts and Signature rings.

I called Millett and their tech said no specs were available for amount of windage adjustment, but that I "should" have "2-3 feet of adjustment".

Has anyone used the Millet Angle-Locs and tried to see how much adjustment they could get?

I am going to go with the rings that allow the most adjustment range, but I really like the Burris with inserts for holding strength.