New
Find
Notify
Tools

VZ-24 project
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

I would like to add a thanks to Harvey King at www.hkcustomguns.com and Pac-Nor...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Nice,
You'll enjoy a whelen lots... great warm up gun for a bigbore!!!

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks jeffesso!

My next Mauser will be a .458 Win Mag [Big Grin]

It'll be polished blue and a regular wood stock, traditional mauser safety and some good iron sights..

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Ready -- a fine choice of action to start with.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job!!! Fantastic cal.!!!! I have the same set up and I love it!!!!
You will LOVE the Whelen!! I just rechambered one of my 35 Whelens to a 358 Norma Mag. I'm not sure about it yet. It kicks more, Yells louder, and uses more powder. The Whelen kills them Dead now!

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle you got there, Mike. Half the enjoyment is choosing the features you want on a custom rifle, the other half is shooting it.
Which is why we start a list of features for the next custom rifle even before the previous one is done! Enjoy. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ThanksRusty!!

For some possible clarification I didn't do any gunsmithing work on this rifle except pull the old barrel off..and fitting some on the stock, cutting bolt slot etc..

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I bought a box of Rem Factory rounds today to see if this thing would feed....It feeds in typical Mauser fashion..perfectly

I did a little more work on the stock as well. The safety didn't have a full range of motion so I sanded under the lever more and relieved the inside wall of the the stock beside the safeties flat plate that the lever is hooked to.

I still have one problem though..sometimes the shroud catches the safety lever and pushes it forward into the OFF position when I work the bolt sloppily...I want it to be safe in all circumstances so I am wondering if others have had to remove a very small amount of metal from their shrouds under similar circumstances...

going to call it a night for now!

Mike

one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
please forgive my tardiness, but what kind of finish is that?

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is matte black teflon and so far I really like it..I've yet to get to the range with this rifle..I cannabalized the 3.5-10X40 VXIII Leupold off of my .270 to test loads with, but it's been raining A LOT lately..

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ready_on_the_right
Nice work. Your inletting looks precise and you did a nice job with the finish.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mr. Worthing..

All I did was cut the bolt slot and remove wood so the barrel shank would drop into the stock. A very, very little sanding around the bottom metal and around the safety lever and the inside wall to clearance the safety mechanism. The tools I used were sandpaper, dremel tool and a new round chainsaw file and the hardest part was patience so I didn't do too much too fast..

I would like to thin the grip a little and checker it and the forearm, but I've never tried checkering so I'll wait. I have an old wood sportsman 78 stock that I may practice on some day..

I also need to bed this thing...do you guys drill holes in laminates to add some mechanical locking for the bedding?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ready_on_the_right:

I also need to bed this thing...do you guys drill holes in laminates to add some mechanical locking for the bedding?

Mike

Mike,

I didn't do so on the one laminate I've completed (bought from Boyd's), but only had to use a minimal amount of glass.

The next one I'm working on is for a .375 H&H and will need a big chunk of glass to fill the hollow forend that they put on all their new Mauser stocks. (The rifle has a recoil lug on the barrel, but there's nothing for the lug to bear against as is.) I asked the Boyd's reps about it at the NRA Annual Meeting last month and they did recommend a few holes in different directions to help prevent the glass from potentially slipping.

FYI for anyone else working on a Boyd's for a big bore -- they also recommend a crossbolt behind the recoil lug, and another behind the magazine. I'd been hoping to get away with one.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks John

Mike