Find
Notify
Tools

Whitworth / Interarms - 3 Position Safety Help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
I mate of mine has a Whitworth Interarms that is fitted with a 3-position safety. He is having misfires "due to the firing pin hitting on the shoulders before going down to the collar", which he believes indicates that the strike is too weak, and/or misaligned. I have not seen the rifle. I've searched the forum and owning a Whitworth .375 am aware of the general issues surrounding this conversion, but not the specifics.

I would appreciate any insight or advice, noting that as he is in Zimbabwe sending it to a US gunsmith is not an option. I can relay any specific questions.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you elaborate a bit more on the "shoulders" and the "collar"??

I have put on several of these and they all worked fine.

Could it be that the cocking piece is hitting the cam inside the bolt shroud? If so, a small grinding wheel to remove the offending metal would be in order.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had three Dakota safeties put on Whitworths and all functioned perfectly. My son's .375 Whitworth however, developed an occaisional misfire a year after the safety installation. This was remedied by installing a new spring from Brownells.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated gentlemen, I passed along and if after a few more tweaks the issue persists, Jim I will get more specific info and perhaps have him contact you direct. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote