New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt malfunction?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The bolt on one of my rifles has suddenly become a little harder to lift. Also, usually when I close the bolt, if I hold the trigger down at the same time, the bolt will close on it's own. Now it doesn't, like a spring broke inside. I haven't shot the gun since this happened. Is there a problem with it?

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
ktg---

What kind of rifle is it? What model? What caliber?

<George Hoffman>
posted
Have you been fooling around with it lately. i.e.
have you maybe changed scope base? If you use a base screw a little to long it may just touch the bolt enough to cause a drag. I had this to happen to me one time.
George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako TRG-S. No base screws. Only been fired a few times. I was adjusting the trigger when I noticed it.

<JBelk>
posted
It sounds like you've mis-adjusted the trigger. Either the sear engagement is too little and allowing it to follow down, OR the backlash screw might be too tight and not allowing the sear to pivot far enough to clear the cocking piece.

OF the two I'd bet on the second one.

[ 02-23-2003, 04:55: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Well, the gun still fires. The trigger only has adjustment for weight. I took it through it's whole range and no change. I removed the trigger completely and the bolt still is hard to lift. So I guess the only difference is all of a sudden, without firing the gun, it's bolt lift has become very heavy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ktg Put some gun grease on the bolt lugs and on the sear cocking notch and see if it is still hard to lift.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2, You're the MAN! The action had just been plated and must have been squeeky clean. A little lubrication and all is fine. Such a simple problem. Thanks.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
ktg,

If the bolt is hard to lift with the trigger out then do like No2 suggested and check the cocking notch surface and apply some lube. Look closely at the bolt guide while you're at it and loosen the guard screws and try that. If after all this it's still hard to open, pop the firing pin and try that. Trouble shooting sequence 101...

Malm

<G.Malmborg>
posted
ktg,

Glad its working. When diagnosing problems, it sometimes helps to know that something had recently been done to the gun as in "having just been plated"...
[Smile]

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
ktg Glad it worked.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G.Malmborg, Yes, I should have included that information. It didn't seem relevent because the action functioned fine for a while after I got it back. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To adjust the trigger you must have had it out of the stock. I'd try backing the receiving screws off slightly; they may be overtightened and distorting the action. The grease may just be hiding this.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote