New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BAR ringed barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend is looking at a BAR 30-06 it has Belgium address on the barrel, Finish is a matte blue he wanted to buy it but the barrel has a deep ring about 4 inches from the muzzle and a slight bulge. Other than the ring the rifle looks new, so a couple of questions. Can the barrel be cut and still function ok or should the barrel be replaced. And if replaced where to send it. I have no interest in the gun but he wanted me to cut the barrel off, I am not geared up to do that.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

Yes, it can be cut and crowned as long as you don't go below the legal length. Some times they will fail to function afterwards because you no long have enough pressure over time to fully cycle the action. This can be changed by using a tighter, Gas Regulator. I think it's part number 31 in Numrichs catalogue. If memory serves I think the 270 caliber one is the tightest. (Someone might chip in if I'm wrong here)
If you have to go to the tighter regulator test fire it and observe the direction the empties are going. Flying forward means the gun is operating to fast and the regulator must be drilled out one number size at a time until the empties fly out at 90 degrees. If the empties fly backward, the gun is operating to slow and you may have to TIG weld the orifice in the regulator closed and then open it up to a few thousandths smaller than the size it was. Generally BARs can always be made to work. One of the few semi autos that can make that boast.

You can also call the Browning Service Center and see if they still have any barrels for them. They may allow you to change calibers as well. All you can do is ask.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rod. I will pass this on

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rod, The 308 or the 243 regulator is the tightest.

Posts: 19 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cantshootalick:
Rod, The 308 or the 243 regulator is the tightest.

coffee

Damn, I guess both of our memories are kind of on the fritz. 308 is the tightest but the 243 is quite a surprise. I guess I should have looked in the first place. But in this age where everyone has a TIG, we all just weld and re-drill the old ones as opposed to replacing them. Odd that the 243 is so damned large. I would have expected it to be closer to the 308 too. But I guess that tiny bore diameter sort of turns it into a small, high pressure, magnum.

BAR gas regulator size by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I would shoot it first and see how it groups. I got a steal on a Marlin 30/30 that had a bulge approx 4" back. I called Marlin at the time and they only wanted $130 to put a new barrel on it. I was getting ready to box it up, when my buddy asked me why I had not shot it first to see how it did. I mounted a scope on it, grabbed a box of Rem 170 gr. factory ammo and proceeded to shoot three, back to back 1-1/4" groups at 100 yards. That was years ago and it is still shooting great! Never hurts to check it before you start throwing money at a problem that may not exist.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
might have been married to a blaser

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

Oddly enough, I have seen quite a few guns with bulged barrels that really shot quite well. It might not hurt to throw a few groups down range and see what happens. If it shoots 1-1/4 inches at 100 yards, you're probably getting realistic BAR performance.

I did say you can always get them to work. I never said they were good shooters! LOL

Rod Henrickson