Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Finishes
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for a finish for a Remington 7400 carbine that is rust resistant and looks good. The rifle is used for hunting in damp conditions, usually exposed to rain and snow. I'm looking for a Teflon-type finish, but the ones I've seen look terrible. I'm looking for something that looks like matte blue. Can someone recommend a finish that they have had good experience with? Thanks in advance. John

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
John

Rust blue is what you are looking for, but I don't know if you want to spend that kind of money on a 7400.
Do a search for rust blue and you should find some pictures posted by Jack Belk and Chic Worthing.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Silca blasting the metal, parkerizing it and then
coating it with a phenolic resin such as KG Gunkote will make it virtually impervious to rust and corrosion. There is an entity called "Mac's Restorations" [look them up on the web] which applies this finish. They call it "Tuffcoat". Their prices and services are outstanding. I highly recommend them.

KG Gunkote is available in several colors. Contact Mac's for your options.

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, check out www.hotflashrefinishing.com. I think you'll find they have the type of finish you're looking for. They do great work and their prices are pretty good also.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to second the Gun Kote finish. I recently had a Ruger Single Six done in satin black and it is a very attractive finish as well as being extremely durable.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote