Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Receiver D&T locations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Jeffe,

I think he is referring to the front receiver ring, rear hole.

Hotshot,

I have seen numerous mausers with the hole drilled into the upper lug shoulder. Each one has to be judged on its own merit. If the hole is further back, away from the lug contact, I don't worry about it too much. There is much more of the lower shoulder removed for the feed ramp. However, if the hole is near the leading edge of the shoulder, or it is a early case-hardened receiver, I would consider properly plugging it.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've passed up many nice sporterized military rifles due to the fact that the rear hole of the front scope base was drilled and tapped over/into the receiver's top lug locking seat.

What is the general opinion of drilling & tapping "over the lug seat" with a blind hole, or completely through it on front locking actions? I was always taught to carefully measure, then D&T in front of the lug seat, but never, ever in the area behind it.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the rear lug is a safety , and unless the front of the rifle blows apart, it will never be engaged...

putting a screw hole back there is fine.. just watch your depth, that it doesn't interfeer with bolt operation

jeffe

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Drill the rear hole in the Front Ring .500" or 12.7mm from the rear edge of the Front Ring. That will put you in the middle of the lug recess not into the lug abuttment itself.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,
KurtC,
I'll have to measure for specifics of "merit", but I would expect that it's a standard #6-48 at 0.120" or less depth.
z1r,
Thanks for the tip. I've done quite a few, but never behind the lug seat. This is one for sale that's otherwise OK.
Hotshot