THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little gold..........A llittle scroll.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
A customer's Christmas present for his wife. Hope she likes it.

-

-

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damnit Roger, it is supposed to be an N, not an M. lol. Wouldn't that just frost you. BTW, gorgeous as usual.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
That would not only frost me, it would be a nightmare.

You can't believe how many times I check the work order to make sure the lettering is correct.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scrollcutter,

The work looks great, but what is it?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
A customer's Christmas present for his wife. Hope she likes it.

Surely the lady is going to like it. It�s a really nice piece of work!

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can think of several places on my firearms for something simular.
Not sure my wallet will permit aawwww

Looks very nice!!

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope she uses it as a floorplate and not a broach on her dress. [Big Grin]
very nice work

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beauty eh! - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Fantastic! Hmmm....now if we turn that upside down its a "W". That could work! [Smile]

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments. Here's a close up,

-

-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger

Stunning, I do have to get down there.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I LOVE it! Very well proportioned. Some engraving seems gawdy too me. That piece is simple enough to grab you at a glance yet detailed and elegant. I also like the way youve mixed in the checkering.

Thanks for sharing it.. [Smile]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I don't know if it was Bob Hughes or a friend of his that did just that once, wrong initial. He ended up inlaying black iron wire just as you would gold and the redid the whole thing and said you could not tell.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am always in awe of somebody with artistic talents, and so jealous that I can't even use a crayon correctly.

Very nice indeed.....

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Chic,

I can see how he could fix it. I can't for the life of me figure out how he would be able to inlay the proper letter back on top of the inlayed iron wire. All of the different inlay channels running this way and that. Crossing and overlapping and superposed onto one another. My hat's off to him.....Mucho Hombre!!!!

All that said. I'll bet he took a hellofa hit on his profit, on that job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, about what grit do you bring that floorplate upto before you start engraving?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Smallfry

It depends on a number of factors, but generally I polish to 600 grit followed by the gray Scotch Bright

If it's highly posished (read that, buffed) there's too much reflection to be able see the engraving. I do take the polish to 2000 grit if the situation warrants it, i.e. stainless knife bolsters with gold work.

posted Hide Post
Roger, this one is somewhat of an improvement over the sample "paper weight" you made for Nancy many years ago. Looks GOOD.

Remember the project gun, Winchester 94 1/2 PG, takedown, 1/2 octagon, double barreled set in 38-55 & 25-35 that I was putting together many years ago. Well I never got it finished so gave it to Jim, maybe someday he can get the Winchester type engraving done that we talked about.

Things are coming along with the move into his shop & my semi-retiring. However I suspect that I may become a "senior technical consultant"

Posts: 26 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answer Roger. I know what you mean especialy with Si carbide, you can always leave alittle frost even at 2000 before you bring it up. This year I am trying my hand (litteraly) at Bulino. I have been doing borders for awhile.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scrollcutter,
Where do you buy the various grades of Scotch Brite? I see that Jack Belk has recommended brown Scotch Bright but I can't find the stuff anywhere. Heck, my father was a 3m employee and once could get it for pennies on the dollar, but now that I need it, I can't find it.

Thanks for your help, Brent

PS. You do darn fine work! Ever do anything appropriate for Winchester Singleshots?

[ 10-30-2003, 16:06: Message edited by: Brent ]

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Hi Lee Roy. Love your screen name.

I was sort of hoping that you had made a gun part or two with that "paper weight".

Senior Technical Advisor sounds rather ominous. I hope you will at least get Sundays off. LOL

Brent,

Any hardware store or auto paint supply store should have it.

I have done a few Winchester style engraving jobs. In fact, I am starting a job on a '94, and I will post some photos of it. It won't Wichester type engraving. but you might enjoy the photos non the less.