New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experiences with 3-groove barrels???
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
How's the fouling, accuracy, durability, etc. Like 'em, or never again? TIA...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only had 1- tried a 22/243 with a 9 twist- thought it might last longer. Only problem was unless the jacket was pretty thick most of the bullets were tore up due to the rpm's- rechambered to 223 works great.
Barrel maker thought that the larger groove was probably weakening the jacket.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting a Lilja 17 twist 30 cal. for the last two years. I believe it may be the best barrel I've ever had. My wife has been shooting a 16 twist 30 cal Broughton and has been doing well. Both are 3 groove.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They seem to have some loyal followers amongst the long range crowd, never used one personally.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've only got one, on my 223WSSM. Durability so far is better than expected, cleaning is about what I expected, and accuracy is what I expected (i.e. better than I can drive).

I don't have a good feeling for how "finicky" the rifle is. As far as I am concerned, they are all too finicky. No problems with ripping up bullets with the 9 twist, but I am not known for lead-footing it. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote