Tools

Winchester 375H&H to 404Jeffery
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted
Gentlemen

I'm building a 404 Jeffery on a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H stainless classic

First let me say I'm in Australia so DO NOT have the options to just go out and buy a follower and mag box, your export laws in the USA for small gun parts like this are ridiculously restrictive even to Australia. In addition to my knowledge NO 300 RUM Winchester model 70's were ever imported into Australia

Mid West Gunworks USA for argument sake flatly refuse to send these parts to Australia

So what I need to do is modify and alter what I have

Can somebody please tell me and compare:
= measurements of a Winchester 375H&H box
= measurements of a Winchester Ultra Mag box

?? What would I need to do (ie cut, stretch or add) to a 375H&H box to make it match the dimensions of the Ultra Mag box

?? Can somebody please compare the follower of a 375H&H and the ULTRA MAG and tell me can I machine the 375 follower to match

I would also like to see the underside of a 375 Action compared to the underside of a 300 RUM action (or finished 404) to see the difference in feed rails and widths

My gunsmith will do the rebarreling and feed work, but rebuilding and altering the existing 375 mag box and follower and the cosmetic metal work ie, open sights and barrel bands, I will complete myself

Any other tips I would appreciate

regards Joe

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
These guys will ship to the dusty, upside down, island place.

http://www.westerngunparts.com/

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wiebe.

I'm just curious. Do you have to weld some metal on the inside of the rails in order to facilitate that feeding off the rails?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Try and talk to Wayne at AHR. He is very knowledgeable & a real guru on CZ upgrades.

He is also a very nice guy who is happy help us antipodeans! Wayne helped me with my CZ 550 Mag & shipped me a new foresight, various sizes of rear sight etc.

American laws allow gunsmiths to ship such parts below a particular value without all the PIA bureaucracy.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane mentioned machineing the action like a
pre64 and using the rails to feed the larger
Cartridges.
Do some smiths do this for smaller cartridges
And weld and machine to feed like the pre64's ?

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote