THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all you Anti- Stainless?Fiberglass types..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started reading about the SS rifles with plastic stocks on these forums and I think that got me to bite. I got interested in the WSM so I ordered a SS Classic M 70 to try the concept out.

I am just a little younger than Ray Atkinson and I have hunted since I was about 10 years old so I have been dealing with blued guns just like the rest of you. I still have the .25 Stevens Favorite that was my first rifle and it does not have any more rust that when it got it. But it is a hassle bird dogging the blue and wood.

As Ray said if the SS and plastic had come out long ago maybe we would have some more of them. Last season in New England it was the worst weather I can recall with snow falling from the sky or branches every day. I used the SS rifle and it looked good.

Watch out when you take a cold gun from the safe or basement and leave it in a guncase as it's getting warmer and more humid out. Severe condensation will result. When I get to the range I open all of the gun cases right away and let them breathe. A friend left a favorite rifle in the trunk for quite a while and it rusted up due to condensation.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gatehouse, Darn shame about the Browning. I just saw an ad in the latest NRA American Hunter where Ruger is making an S&S Over/Under. If I get back into Ducks and Geese in KY, I might have to swap around for one of them.

Hey Don, Nice response.

Hey Mr. Ray, Hang in there with the RM&TF, some of these guys are sure to believe you. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Hot Core
I like wood and blue shotguns, and think the stainless ones look funny.

But I will only buy double shotguns now, and I use them for the range or upland hunting. Not many ducks around hee, so I've never really hunted waterfowl.

Upland shotguns don't take the abuse that rifles do- I don't go on multi day bird hunts in the mountains [Big Grin]

If I was always in a duck blind, getting wet all the time, I'd think about the stainless or coated versions.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote