Notify
Tools

Rem 700 trigger adjustment advise
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted
Hey Guys,
Got a question for you. How is the best way to make a Model 700 trigger break like glass? I have adjusted the pull weight and over travel on many 700's. But I have never tried to take the creep out of a trigger, as I have been a little hesitant about tweking on the sear engaugement screw. What experiences have you all had, any tips?
Thanks,
Croberts

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RemingtonTriggers.asp

Found this on the net, use good judgment when adjusting. I think a 24oz. trigger is NOT enough weight for a hunting rifle!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I am not sure where they think a stock rem trigger is good to anything less than 32 oz. Usually to get to 2 lbs and have it hold,you have to change a few internals. I would keep it no lighter than 2.5 lbs and keep as much engagement as you can possibly tolerate. Remington has paid out quite a few dollars to aggressive lawyers and clients with improperly adjusted triggers; probably why they came out with their new trigger I suppose.

If you want a truly great trigger with very little creep and a safe pull all they down to nothing, look towards jewell.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Timney...period. I have 4 Model 700's and 3 have Timneys. They are easy to install and break like a wine glass. The 4th is a CDL in 264 that is brand new and has the X trigger. I adjusted it to a real nice break....not quite as good as the Timney...but close.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I dont go any lower than 3lbs on a stock remmy triger, just asking for trouble if you do, and yes an aftermarket is the way to go if this isnt good enough for you. Your average Joe will blow a leg off with anything lighter! If i know the guy and he shoots a lot but not a benchrester so to say, it's still adjusted to 3lbs and no less. On a hunting rifle that is about as light as i'm even comfortable with. Scope eye isnt much fun and a round sent down range when not wanted is a disaster!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted Hide Post
I agree with each one of you in some area or another. Yes aftermarket triggers are best, no doubt. I will say that I feel Jewell has a edge over the competition. And 3 lbs is a good weight for most hunting conditions, though my groundhog rifles are substantially less. I was just wondering if anyone had tricks to getting the trigger to break solely on pressure.
Thanks for the advice.
Croberts

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote