THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Two Mauser Actions (One desired Outcome)
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
It depends on how you want the rifle to look when you are finished. Based on what you have said I would go with a Montana action if "stout" loads are in your future.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Carmelo, I'm definately not an expert but the 1895 Mauser would seem to me to definately be the wrong choice for a big bore. I've seen some really fine big bores built on the Argentine action though. Some of the guys here have real experience building them though and can offer more info on both.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is what I was thinking as well Mark, from a cost perspective I might be better with the Montana as well as from an action strength perspective as well.
Ray says I might want to wait for the CZ in 404 as the Montana actions don't have the floor plate to accomodate a box mag....

Posts: 190 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
DO NOT put a modern round in a 1895...

Now, let's look at what you want in the end...

The montana action is a fairly nice looking one, and with a good trigger and an even better safety, it's HUNDREDS (read 300) of dollars ahead of starting with a mauser, to have the same features.

If you get it from MRM, setup for your chosen caliber, again, you are miles and dollars ahead...

All that being said, you can pop down to wally world and get a model 70 classic fairly cheap.

jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Building this Custom .404 Jeffery dream rifle of mine is becoming more of a frustrated mess and I haven't even had any work done yet!

I pulled out two Mauser Actions I had buried away, one is a Chilean Modelo 1895 mfr Loewe Berlin, the other a Argentine 1908 DWM.

I am trying to estimate conversion costs vs. buy a Montana 1999 long action, and if a .404 built on either of these two actions could stand up to some of the Stout Loads Ray Atkinson uses....
I think I had an easier time deciding on whether or not to say I DO, then to build this freaking rifle!

Posts: 190 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote