Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 70 push feed 300 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
A friend just showed up with a Winchester Mod 70 push feed rifle in pretty rough shape. We are discussing what to do with it. The action is redeemable.

I have a perfectly good stainless Pac Nor barrel in 300 H&H, that I took off my CRF Mod 70, because I like the 375 H&H better. I have been looking for some time for an action to use for the 300 H&H

My idea is to have a gunsmith cut off the threads, thus shortening the barrel by almost an inch, rechamber, rethread, and fit.

I have read that the standard length Mod 70 action can be made to work with the H&H length cartridge by removing the block at the rear of the magazine box, cutting or replacing the bolt stop to allow the bolt to travel further to the rear.

I don't know if some metal needs to be removed from the action to open the loading port.

But, anyway my question is what do you think about this idea? Is it worth the trouble with a push feed Mod 70 action? Or would I be better off the buy a Montana 99, considering that I could get this Mod 70 push feed pretty reasonable priced?

An additional but related question is that if the threaded part of the barrel was cut off on the chamber end, (set back almost 1") then a standard 300 Win Mag or 308 Norma Mag reamer would clean up whats left of the old 300 H&H chamber, then I wouldn't have to worry about making the action feed the long H&H cartridge. Is this a better way to go?

Regards,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a good plan. Assuming the PF action is a Magnum, you shouldn't have any problem going with either the 300 Win Mag or the Norma.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your going to spend a lot of money and end up with something thats half way a nice gun.

What is the gun like now? How does it shoot? What caliber etc?

I suggest that you try to use the gun as it is and search for a 300 HH, if thats what you must have, that someone else spent big bucks on.

There are also some 300 HH XTR's around and PF aside they are finished quite nice. A buddy hunts with one and likes it.

Here is one for you. It's only $395 and even has a muzzle brake. Thats ok because I won't be able to hear it go off 3000 miles away.

"Rare Interarms Whitworth 300 H&H Magnum Deluxe Mauser! 26 1/2" ported barrel! 99.5 % original blue - only a little thinning at muzzle edge! Made in Manchester England - premium! Deluxe fancy crack Free Wood with Checkering, forearm and pistol cap! Serial A272,xxx! No Rust! Mint bore! Scope mount and sling! Absolutely Fantastic Rifle!"

300 HH

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
You certainly have that right. This Mauser is a custom job - barrel & stock - on a Whitworth action. Looks like a good deal.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote