New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the experts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been relaoding for my Rem 700 XCR 300 Win Mag. (no factory loads) Out of roughly 200 shots I have experienced this following problem 3 times. I load a round into the chamber and then close the bolt. As I close the bolt the firearm discharges. I have checked the primer and all were seated properly. I will be taking to my gunsmith. However I did after the first occurane and he told me that this is not possible and that I must have pulled the trigger. After 3 times I know there is a problem. Any suggestions?

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am certainly no expert.

Sounds to me like the trigger is releasing.

Make sure the rifle is unloaded, cock it and bounce the but pad on the floor and see if the trigger releases. Sounds like maybe not enough sear engagement????

Has anyone monkeyed with the trigger??? Trigger job or anything???

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes had the triggered polished and set at 3lbs. Seems to pull at 3lbs as the rest of my rifles. I will try the "drop" test and see what happens.

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
This is a typical problem with older (pre- X Mark Pro) style triggers. Have your gunsmith tear that trigger apart and give it a thorough cleaning and then have him reset the pull. Provided someone didn't alter the sear engagement angles, that should solve that problem.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Based on your description, I assume your gunsmith adjusted the trigger in the first place, and you have not monkeyed with it.

If you do choose to give him a second chance, the fix should be on him.

After that fails, find a new gunsmith that knows Model 700 triggers.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote