New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Custom Rifle Gazette July 1965
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wow!!!! while I was only able to make about 3 hours at the local gun show, I came across 3 copies of this magazine. This is about 150 pages of high gloss pages and pictures are awesome. These are Volume 1 Issue 1 and from what I was told the final issue as they went broke.
It sold for 11.50 and were to be 4 issues. It features Darwin Hensley, David Miller, Tom Turpin, Stephen Dodd Hughes and a bunch of others.
I think what interested me the most was a half page ad by Maurice Ottmar.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with 3 copies but just one of those impulse buying moments and a bit of history from the past.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Can I buy a copy from you?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they still have my full subscription price, and all I got was the on eissue that actually was printed.

Gunnerman Books or someone else has most of the unsold copies. I picked up another copy for some odd reason a couple of years ago.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1995, no ???
I have that one and it's been a great read.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes guys it is 1995 and not 1965, it was early,no glasses and brain dead!!!!
bulldog, if I decide to sell the other two I will let you know.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
jimmyd223: if I decide to sell the other two I will let you know.

Put them on ebay and let us all know.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That single issue is quite possibly the best issue of any firearm related magazine ever published. Too bad circumstances did it in.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I think I've got 8 or 10 copies if anyone is interested.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Let me know what you want for a copy, I would like one.

Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like one also, let me know what you'd like for one. Thank you.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmyd223

So you found them on Bartletts table. I knew you were waundering around the show more than you were at your table Sunday.
Yes they are in really great shape.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith
Adna WA.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Is this the one?

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J Wisner, yup, I was at the show for about thre hours. Had to meet a fellow to do a gun deal. I think John had about 5 copies.
I haven't had my tables since April, was out of town on the pipeline but I will be back next month. Stop by and I'll buy the coffee or donuts. I saw your Dad but must have missed you.

Idared, thats the one.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
new_guy: I think I've got 8 or 10 copies if anyone is interested.

Probably. How much?

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post

That's the same magazine that I have.

send me PMs plese. I'm out of town for the next week, but will be able to get back to them when I return.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they still have the balance of my subscription as well. I think it was $40 for 4 issues a year. I got the one issue and then a letter saying they went belly up.

I wonder if a magazine like that could make a go of it today? SDH, where are you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF, with the quality of the magazine and paper and the pictures, I really don't think there was any way they could have made it with the price of 11.50 ea or the yearly price of 40.00.
I doubt it could be done today for twice that amount but it would be nice as it was pure quality.
I thought I was lucky to pick up the 3 copies I got at 15.00 ea

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Double Gun Journal seems to be doing quite well. But shotgunners seem to have more money to spend on big ticket toys than rifle cranks Wink.

- stu

edited to add: DGJ has recently changed its name to the Double Gun & Single Shot Journal, and it's certainly not just about shotguns. It's a great read.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
There are several copies on abebooks.com for $15. I bought one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd223:
22WRF, with the quality of the magazine and paper and the pictures, I really don't think there was any way they could have made it with the price of 11.50 ea or the yearly price of 40.00.
I doubt it could be done today for twice that amount but it would be nice as it was pure quality.
I thought I was lucky to pick up the 3 copies I got at 15.00 ea

Back in those days you had to have the writer go out to the gunmaker and interview him (or her I suppose) and take the photos, etc. then that person had to send in the film for processing and send the story to an editor for review. Then the whole thing had to go to paste up and get a plate burned and then over to the printer. Many many people and mucho time involved.

Today almost all of that can be handled via the internet except for the printing and the actual photography, and most gunmakers are now pretty savy with their digital cameras.

I doubt it would be a big moneymaker, but I bet there would be a lot of people (including me) who would pay $20 a crack for a magazine of that quality.

Once again, SDH, where are you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, SDH everyone needs a good tax right off once in awhile animal rotflmo
I know I have had mine in the past, just wish they would come at a better time.
Its a real shame this went tits-up as it sure had alot of quality.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a copy from Gunnerman Books for $20 plus shipping.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
guys, I have 1 copy left if someone wants it 15+3.50 shipping

one of us
posted Hide Post
jimmyd223,

I will take the copy of the magazine. Please PM me with your address and I will get the payment off to you.

Thanks.

Gary

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary my last copy just sold. I will get ahold of Bartlett and try to buy the rest of the copies for anyone else here.