New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser action inletting - the ejector box screw
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since this is my first stock for a Mauser, I have a question about the inletting of the ejector box. Or more specifically, the screw that holds it to the action.

This screw has a sharp point on the end that embeds into the stock. My question is this: when inletting do you try to drill the stock to accept the point of the screw or do you use that point to create its own hole in the stock?

My wood of my stock is old and quite dry and I don't want to split it by driving the point in. Have any of you drilled a hole for the point?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Sure you can... if your worried about the stock spliting, drilling the hole would be the better option. I have a time or two filed the point off, and put a small bevel on the edge. Then the hole doesnt have to be as deep, although either way doesnt mater.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I always drill a small hole.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Use the screw hole in the ears on the action as a drill guide to precisely locate this.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1844 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the sharp point of the screw to mark the center then drill with a 1/8" bit.

A few years ago, I restocked my .35 Whelen. After completion, the rifle would not properly eject . After much angst and tinkering, I discovered that I had drilled the hole a bit off with too small a bit and the tip of the screw was been pushed off center when it pressed against the side of the hole. This was enough to misalign the ejector so it stuck in it's receiver slot and not properly enter the slot in the bolt. A slightly larger hole solved my problem. I'm more careful now.

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Always good advice to be had around here.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have never understood the function of that sharpened screw tip. What good is it?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never understood the function of that sharpened screw tip. What good is it?

Makes it easier to put the action back together. Helps line up the lever and ejector.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote