New
Find
Notify
Tools

Geting oil stains out of stock
 Login/Join

<Patrick_D>
posted
I have a rifle which at some time in the past (before I owned it) got sprayed in a couple of places with oil or grease. I suspect either dirty oil or moly grease. Anyone got any ideas how to get this out. It's a walnut stock, and was until yesterday lacquered. I stripped off the finish, and lightly sanded it, but those marks are stubborn and have obviously sunk into the wood.

If anyone suggests products available in the US market, please can you describe what they are, as a lot of the names will probably mean nothing to me!

Thanks

Patrick

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Part of my income is derived from art restoration and I've done a bit of furniture restoring. To draw the the oil/grease out of the wood try using brown kraft paper, paper bag pressed against the oily spot and heated with a hair blower. I use this method to get the surplus oily crud out of the canvass of oil paintings. The same process works with getting oil out of wood funiture, picture frames and old gun stocks.
Another process that has worked in the past is to find an office supply house that still has typewriter cleaner, it's carbon tet. Carbon tet cuts oil and grease so the grease can be absorbed with paper towels or more of the brown kraft paper.
Another chemical that works is 'Seals Adhesive Release' Check with a picture framing shop that has a dry mount press. The shop will either have it or their supplier can get get it. This chemical disolve dry mounting tissue without harming the art work.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Another heat source you can use is a light bulb and you may want to try putting "Spill Magic" on the stock. Place it under a strong light bulb, maybe an infrared one. Be careful to monitor the temp so you don't get it too hot, but it will draw the oil out real well. You can get Spill Magic at Walmart for a couple bucks and you'll be surprised at how well it works and the number of uses you'l find for it.

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I've found that "Easy Off" oven cleaner works great. Do it out doors. This stuff is hard on the lungs!

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy some "Whiting" compound from Brownells. Mix with methyl alcohol or acetone and make a thick paint. Brush on the offending spot and apply heat from a hair dryer or small space heater. You will notice the whiting turn dark as it absorbs the oil. Brush it off and re-apply until no more oil soaks in. Wipe the stock down with acetone and then finish.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote