New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington barrel nut
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who makes a barrel nut (like the Savage) to convert a Remington 700 to handle interchangeable barrels like a Savage bolt action does ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only versions of this I've seen were custom made by the 'smith doing the work. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are barking up the wrong tree.

For a switch barrel rifle on a Remington action, the 'smith sets the barrels up snugly, not brute tight as in a hunting rifle.

Then, the owner buys a simple barrel vise and a rear entry action wrench.

Piece of cake.

Hit the Sinclair catalog or web site and look at switch barrel action wrenches and barrel vises. Or, have the 'smith make up a barrel vise and action wrench. Easy machining jobs.

Juse be aware, the simple switch barrel action wrenches and barrel vise are not strong enough for firmly set up barrels.

I have built several switch barrel rifles. In my opinion, you do a lot of fumbling around, switching barrels, sighting in scopes, etc. Nice to play with, but not practical for a serious hunting outfit.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Right on John!

I have quite a few switch barrel rifles, including several Remingtons, one with 6 barrels. Unless one has a scope with very reliable, repeatable settings, switching barrels is not something as simple as just screwing in another barrel then go blast P-dogs instead of moose.

With a scope with very good repetition, one can get close by feeding in the previous settings, but even then he'll usually have to do a final sighting in session.

That's why rifles that aren't bolt actions make some of the best practical hunting switch-barrel jobs if you're gonna take more than one barrel on the same hunt.

In many of them, take the TCR-83 for example, the scope is mounted on the barrel and resighting is not required when a barrel is remounted...at least not for big game hunting accuracy.

One of my TCRs has barrels in .22 Hornet, .225 Winchester, .243 Winchester, 7mm/08, 30-06, and 32-40 Winchester. I fairly often take one of the .22 barrels and either the 7mm/08 or the .30-06 when I go hunting. Haven't found any real hunting use for the .243 or the .32-40 yet, but they are fun to plink with.

The handiest combo I ever had when I lived in Northern Alberta was a Savage Model 219. It rode in its canvas case behind the truck seat at all times...complete with three barrels (2 scoped) in .30-30 WCF, .22 Hornet, and .410 shotgun. That gun put a lot of meat on the table.

Despite having to sight in again, even switch barrel bolt rifles can be a very good idea for a fella on a tight budget. For the cost of another barrel, a guy can own essentially another gun. Where he wants to shoot a .22-250 barrel all Spring for varmints, then put on the .338/06 barrel for elk season, it can be a pretty good way to go.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote