New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x54 Manlicher S
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys, I posted a similar question before but have not been satisfied completely and will try again maybe someone can assist.
I plan to build a 6.5 MS and would like to know if I can use a CZ 550 action but I am concerned the bolt face will be the wrong size? What other Mauser type action could I use?
Thanks and Merry Christmas

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any action will work, but since the rim is slightly smaller than standard, you will have to tighten up the extractor or find a larger one and have it custom fit.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks KurtC. Exactly the answer I was looking for. I was under the impression that only a Mannlicher action or Savage could be used.

Merry Christmas to All
Da Man, Merry Xmas Big Grin

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would strongly suggest that you try and source a Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle in this caliber.

Many reasons - the reamer for this cartridge is not commonly available. I cannot find one here in New Zealand. The bolt face is SMALLER than other common cartridges and so you would have to open up a 223 size bolt face. The cartridge was designed with the long 160 gr bullet & also the 140 gr. So OAL will not fit a short action magazine. This cartridge was a low pressure round - 36000 CUPs if I rembemr. I get 2200 fps with 160 gr bullets & 2400 fps with 140s.

The real attraction for this caliber is also the light and quick handling MS rifle. I have a Greek military carbine conversion which I restocked myself and I used to own a beautiful sporter made before 1924. A real joy to carry and shoot these rifles. I also have a 9.5X57 in the same actionwhich I am trying to restock.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reamer is commonly found here in the states. In fact I had Lothar Walther make me up a barrel for a 110 Savage action. Put it all together and it shoots great even with the shorter lighter bullets. It's a great 6.5 caliber round. I used a standard 308 bolt face size with the intentions of later on changing it to a more correct size but haven't so far as it's working fine.

The 6.5 MS, 6.5 Jap, 6.5 Carcano, and the 7.62x39 have a similar size rim. Notice I didn't say they were all the same but they are in sort of a class.

You can't load the cartridge to higher pressure in a strong action. I don't recommend loading it to the extreme though.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
SmokinJ, you are right in the reamer being easily available in the US. However Lal is in S.Africa & I am not sure if theya re as easily available there.

The rim size is odd. I cannot get it to lock up in my RCBS case trimmer's chuck. So I use the Lee tool and ground down the 6.5X55 pilot to trim my cases with a drill.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. My gunsmith who lives less than 30km away has a chamber reamer. Smiler

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nakihunter: The real attraction for this caliber is also the light and quick handling MS rifle. I have a Greek military carbine conversion which I restocked myself

The cheapest and most expedient route. I have one too, nifty rifle, easy to sporterize. Main challenge is to find one with a decent bore.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote