Find
Notify
Tools

So I have this little problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I buy gun parts or whole guns for projects that take me years to get into.

Or I buy the action and find out that I can't get what I need to build the rifle.

Anyone else have 5 or 6 projects going on at once?

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but I know a guy with 3 out of the first 24 posts on this board. Is there a pattern showing here?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of projects still lingering 20 years or so later. I plan to finish them this year; just as soon as I get a couple of other things done.

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have the bright & shiny object syndrome. Head to work on something I end up doing something else. Roll Eyes coffee

What were we talking about?? Yep bright & shiny struck again. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've got three brand new barrels and two partially finished stocks that I'm going to get assembled. Of course I've had them for 3-7 years already.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I never stop working on a project; it might get pushed aside for a few years but it is never stopped for any other reason than something more interesting has arisen. 5 or 6 projects at once?; at least that many.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now I have:

30-06 Howa that needs a stock to replace the offensive Hogue, but since I picked it up in the past few days I guess it won't be on the top of the list. Also needs a scope to replace the Nikko Sterling it came with.

9.3x64 need action, barrel, stock, scope and so on. If the 30-06 Howa doesn't shoot it might be the donor. Barrel is on order.

300 Winchester needs action, barrel and trigger. Going to be a clone of a Navy sniper rifle in 300 Win. Have the right stock and the rail, barrel should be inbound in about a month.

375 H&H needs a barrel, scope, trigger and rings.

243 needs a scope, mounts and rings.

8x57, rifle is coming in September needs a stock, scope and mounts.

300 Blackout, have ammo need everything else.

6mm BR have barrel 300 rounds of brass, dies and I need everything else, if the 243 doesn't work that action will become a BR.

Finishing the 243 is the priority. Probably be shooting it after Christmas.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of long-term projects of my own. I just can't seem to make myself work on one of my projects when I've got a safe full of other folks' guns.

A few years ago I bought two 20-gauge Parker projects from the estate of a talented amateur gunsmith several years ago and there they sit. I have a beautiful A.H. Fox AE 12-gauge that needs restocking because someone long ago cut the stock and poorly installed a recoil pad, leaving the LOP 12.5" (may whomever did that rot in hell!), but just can't make the time to do it, and the roughed out blank is there with it. Yes, my mother used to say "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." I wonder if that applies to these projects? I sure hope not.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah the old story of the shoemakers children having no shoes. As a custom gunmaker I have several in the works, a 6.5/06 on a springfield, a vintage 16 bore Jones under-lever single barrel rifle, a H&H Woodward action falling block, the list goes on.

Some of yours sound pretty straight forward Big Wonderful Wyoming. Let me know if I can help.
Steve Bertram

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, thanks.

I was a military armorer for the majority of my 20 years. 90% of what I need is straight armorer stuff. The other 10% is covered by a good mate who owns a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of Jap CNC lathes.

100% of my problems with speed in getting it done is $$$ and having 3 kids and wife who toss money out the cat door faster than I bring it through the front.