Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger question: Browning FN to HVA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
Wondered if you can fit the Browning FN trigger into a Husqvarna commercial small-ring or regular FN 98 action? In de Haas's Bolt Action book he says they are not interchangeable, however Timney doesn't distinguish between the 2 actions.

Any expert opinions?

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some FN actions used the Sako #4 trigger. This trigger also fits most 98's. I do not know about the Husqvarna, but if it is configured like a standard 98, then the trigger should fit. I recently installed a Sako trigger on a very early FN with wing safety. Since the stock was not inletted for it, I removed the Sako trigger safety. Works like a charm with about a 2.5 lb let off.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, had the chance to take apart a Browning Safari 30-06 today and the trigger from it won't work on a regular FN, 98 or HVA. The Browning FN trigger was a similar setup to a Md 70 trigger (quite nice) and it has an extra mounting requirement for the trigger lever. A mounting 'hanger' is built onto the lower rear section of the tang about an inch or more behind the mounting hole for the regular trigger, which in the case of the Browning is used for the sear. Anyway, unless you were to weld a hanger on it won't work. Too bad, Numrich had the Browning set up for a reasonable price.

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
You got that right, but hey, there are so many just as good triggers for the regular 98...?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely right. There are no shortage of premium triggers...but sometimes the path less followed is so inviting. Anyway I do like the fairly simple design of the Md70/Browning, but don't have any real reason for not choosing a Timney-type trigger.

I would like to hear/read more descriptive reviews of the Huber Concepts as their trigger for the HVA would be a very simple design for my purpose. I haven't seen much talk about it.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Mike McCabe just finished up a Husky 1640 (HVA) barreled action for me. I went with the regular Timney sportsman M98 trigger. It fit fine.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote