THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    timney trigger and notched cocking piece- bolt locking

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

timney trigger and notched cocking piece- bolt locking
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
.....used the miltary piece before with an after market trigger with no problem. But someone talked about it locking his bolt.

Pasted from the other thread. I am experiencing it now. Have many other mausers, all military cocking pieces with timneys both featherweight and sportsman as well as canjars and never had this happen. No alterations except new bolt handle, Dakota 3 pos safety. Does not do it regularly. Can someone explain what is happening. Could it be variance in the length of the CP allowing it to seat a little deeper thus allowing the trigger sear to rise and lock in position.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trigger sear is probably hanging up in the slot in the action. Pull the bolt and push the sear ahead with a small screwdriver to see if it is moving forward all the way and not contacting the action

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll try it tonite.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that, and sometimes you can adjust the trigger because it is resetting too early (due to the slot into the cocking piece; when that happens the bolt is locked in position) and sometimes you need to install a flat bottom cocking piece. The bolt can't open when the trigger sear is reset. They are hard to get, so I sometimes weld in a piece into the bottom to make it flat.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd bet you have the wrong Timney model. The ones for the "slotted" cocking piece have an elongated pivot on the trigger sear..allows the sear to move upon cocking

Posts: 3605 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does an elongated pivot look like Confused I have tried 2 different timneys and both still lockingthe bolt. I think it is resetting early. Have not tried a canjar yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are the 2 triggers I have. Is either one right for a notched CP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The top one is their featherweight model and can come with a side safety. This is the one that needs the flat bottom cocking piece. The bottom on is the SPrtsman model and will work well with the notched or solid cocking piece. It, unfortunately, has been discontinued by Timney. It is/was my choice for a 98 mauser.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Something appears to be a bit off with the sear on that sportsman trigger at the bottom of your picture. I would replace it with a new one.

Jim Kobe.
There are some Timney #101's and #102's on Ebay if you care to stock up. The 102's ain't cheap.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I freely admit to not knowing a damn thing about the problem you are having. But I can say that I have had very good service from Blackburn triggers for Mauser actions. Maybe try one of them.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing the matter with the trigger, lighting may make it appear wonky. Got it working with a little fidgeting with it. I have hade various timney and canjar triggers on my rifles for over 40 years, nary a problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's really nothing of a mystery here. One tigger has an elongated hold in the trigger sear..upon closing the bolt, the sear moves forward to engage the rigger lever.

Sear is spring loaded, so it retracts rearward when the bolt is drawn backwards....thus allowing that sear pivot down ..thus allowing a notched bolt sear ride past freely.

In the other, the trigger sear is on a fixed pivot , allowing it to only operate in an arc .Now, when the bolt is withdrawn, the sear tries to return to battery and becomes locked up, As dc pd says, you gotta have a flat bottomed sear to make this work reliably.

kda 55 says there's nothing wrong with the trigger. He's right. just the wrong application

Posts: 3605 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote