Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitworth-Express
 Login/Join

posted
On the Whitworth-Express in 375 H&H has the action strength been compromized because metal was removed from the receiver behind the lower locking lug recess?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mark X whitworth express in 375 and shoot mostly MAX loads and have never had any problems. I cannot say if it is "compromised" but feel safe with "MY" rifle.
I should also say that if you question your safety you take your rifle to a gunsmith you trust and have it looked over thoroughly.

[This message has been edited by Frank Martinez (edited 03-31-2002).]

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a 375 I don't think you will have any problems, unless you've been loading to 378 Wby levels, or you suspect a previous owner has. If you're worried about it by all means get it checked out by a gunsmith. Yes the commercial standard length Mausers were opened up at the front for 375 length cartridges, and there is some question as to their strength. However, I'm not sure that we are making mountains out of molehills here. I've never seen one fail because of this opening up, and have only read of one instance where it was refered to as a cause for failure. In that instance, there was very little other information given, so it would be hard to make a good judgement call. I have a couple of Whitworth Mausers and have never had any problems whatsoever with them. I really don't think it is a cause for concern, as long as it is the original chambering and not some hacked job. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote