Find
Notify
Tools

Better modeling clay for bedding jobs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
I recently did a DIY bedding job. When I filled the action and parts of the stock, I bought the cheapest modeling clay I could find figuring it was disposable and I needed to use a fair amount for the job - so why waste money on something I end up binning. However the stuff I used turned out to be very soft, and didnt hold its shape or stay put very well. So I will have to find a better option for the next try. Is there a go-to product I should be looking at for bedding?

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the children's standard modeling clay that we have had since I was a kid, many decades ago.
Maybe you got a bad lot.

Posts: 17266 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Duct Seal, used by the guys that install heating and ventilation ducting. Looks like gray modeling clay but stiffer. Better than anything else I have used over the years. And you can peel it out and use over again.

Guys in the trade call it bear shit.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gardner Bender duct seal. Way better than modelling clay.

Some fool will try real bear shit. Probably find the pepper spray in it turns his Mcmillan stock to jelly, and then it'll never shoot consistent groups unless you pull the old boot laces out first..........

Posts: 110 | Location: Tasmania | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used silly putty. It seemed to work fairly well.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I like to use packing tape over any holes or openings in the action. Be sure to degrease first or the tape doesn't stick as well. Alot easier to remove a piece of tape than clean out a threaded hole full of clay.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always used modeling clay, the oil base one not the other crap they have out that is flavored and non-toxic and apparently safe in case the little critters happen to have some for lunch. .
It is the same stuff I used in grade school a looooooong time ago. old

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plumbers putty. Been using it for years.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Plumbers putty. Been using it for years.

Only thing I’ve ever used.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2943 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote