New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic stock modifications
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it feasible to modify a RH Bell & Carlson Duramax stock to LH ? ie plug the existing RH bolt cut out and make a new cut out for the LH bolt.

The stock in question would be for a Savage 110 short action and unlike most other bolts, I think stocks for Savage actions are identical, apart from the bolt cut out.

These stocks seem reasonably priced and I dont think the project warrants spending a lot of money on a new stock.

Joe

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I'm not familair with a B&C Duramax specifically, but I used a Right-Handed Bell & Carlson Mauser stock to restock/remanufacture it for a Left-Handed 98 Mauser action and did exactly what you are asking. I selected a B&C stock model for a Mauser without a R/H cheek piece so that I wouldn't have to deal with it, either. Perhaps there may be little minor fiddling around with left-to-right interior bits on a Savage but the Mauser was a straight forward process except for the upper action parts.

I used:
1. a Hacksaw,
2. a Dremel Tool,
3. Files,
4. Sandpaper,
5. Steel Bed,
6. Spray Paint - Matte Black for the first several undercoats and a mottled Grey/Black/White made for metal patio furniture for the overcoat.

I cut the upper part of the action area off with a hacksaw, then built the remaining bits & pieces from right-hand to left-hand with Brownell's Steel Bed, plugged up what was remaining of the R/H bolt cut, made a L/H bolt cut and then painted the stock - it works and (especially appears) better than brand new.

I'm not exactly Mr. Gunsmith but with a little patience and following the Steel Bed instructions the bedding and building up of the parts from right-to-left was an easy weekend project and the painting (due to using several thin coats of paint instead of one and the drying time) took the remainder of the next week.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote