Find
Notify
Tools

rifle balance
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
Looking for some expert thoughts and/or suggestions here. I have a browning stainless stralker in 300 mag I use mostly for moosehunting. When I pull this rifle up to shoot it feels totally solid I never think twice about making a free hand shoot. I did buy a Tikka t3 hunter in 270 for deer hunting. The rifle it's self is a tack driver but when I try to free hand it I'm waivering like it's my first day out ever. It feels like my browning is heavier in the barrel. I'm not sure if it's just in my head or if it's real or if I can back it better. I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid problem. I hate retire my tikka cause with a lean i've taken everything I've put in the scope with it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is in your head; but realize that each rifle balances differently and each person likes different balances. Some like heavy muzzles. Others like the English theory of "weight between the hands". So, shoot the that feels best to YOU and retire the others, or change the balance to make them feel like you like them.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I agree with dpcd's comments.

Personally I like my shotguns equally balanced between the hands but my rifles with just a slight bit more weight towards the forward hand to keep the barrel from being 'flighty' in offhand shooting.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can make both rifles feel the same way by adjusting the balance point of the Tikka to match your Browning.
Hold the rifle with one hand to determine where it balances, measure the distance from that point to the trigger. You then could add some weight to the forend of the Tikka to move the balance point forward the same distance for the same feel as the Browning.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a rifle to be on the muzzle heavy side for off hand shooting and for running shots and snap shooting, the muzzle heavy barrel settles faster and more solid especially after you just ran to the top of a hill and are offered a shot at departing game and your sucking air like a beached whale..Fwt. rifles bounce all over hell under those conditions...

I shoot a lot of game off hand, and I can shoot better off hand than I can over sticks for instance, why that is I have no idea other than I grew up shooting off hand with a 22 L.R., 25-35, 30-30 and a 250 Savage all with iron sights..I like packing a iron sighted rifle, and I like shooting irons if the terrain is iron sight friendly such as Africas Jesse or Idahos black timber marsh land..I am not opposed to scopes either, prefer them in the Rimrock country behind my house. When hunting DG I tend to use irons with a scope handy to attach in the event we see a nice Kudu or whatever at some distance. Most folks do just the opposite.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote