THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for getting front sight base off AR15?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted
I need to take off the front site base from a brand new barrel. Anyone have some tips for getting it off once I pop out the pins? Should I just spray it down with WD40 and hammer it off? THANKS

posted Hide Post
Just pop the pins out left to right, and pop the sight off. I suppose you might need some heat, but once the pins are out the sight should come off with some gentle mallet taps.

Posts: 11 | Location: Fort Collins, CO | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Dog catcher,

You're both right. Pop the pins, apply some oil (I use Break Free) and with a soft mallet or a hammer and a block of wood tap the sight tower forward striking the rear tapered leg of the tower. You might need to tap the sight to the side a little to break it's grip, but when you start to tap it off, do it in a straight line, otherwise you will end up with funky looking scratches. I don't use the oil to help loosen it, I use it as a barrier to float the sight tower over the finish so as to reduce the damage to the finish.

If that doesn't do the trick then warm the tower just enough to get it moving. A propane torch will do nicely.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will be installing a picatinny block once I get it off so hopefully if i do scratch it, it won't show. THANKS