New
Find
Notify
Tools

bedding question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i just got back a rifle i had left with a gunsmith to have the action bedded. i have a question.

i thought that the bedding was a substance which was put into the action area of the rifle and then the barrelled action was inserted. this caused the excess material to be forced out and thereby creating the closest possible fit between action and stock. if iu am correct then should not the entire action area of the stock have at least some small amount of this material in it? in my rifle, there is an area of cured material around the recoil lug and a very small amount around the tang screw. is this normal or did i get less than a really professional job again?

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill: What you got was a partial glass bedding job. You may find it works very well.
Sometimes a fellow fails to tell a gunsmith exactly what he wants done. The gunsmith may have been trying to provide you an "adequate" job at minimal cost to you (or possibly at minimum bother to him). If on the other hand you ordered full length glass bedding of the action you didn't get what you asked for.

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I don't know what action you have, but the procedure of bedding the recoil lug ( with proper relief) and the tang as well as the first inch of barrel in front of the recoil lug is my standard procedure on Rem 700's, win M70,s and all Mausers. This has produced some excellent shooting rifles for me. Sounds like your smith knows what he's doing.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bill,

athe job done to your rifle will probably work.

But, I prefer to bed the whole action, especially for large calibers.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66973 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the responses. i feel beter now.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote