Find
Notify
Tools

pressure point on ruger stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted
here is a question for for the tinkerers out there: does removal of the pressure pad in the front of ruger stocks improve accuracy? I think about this everytime I have one of my Rugers out of the stock.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
does removal of the pressure pad in the front of ruger stocks improve accuracy

Maybe. Wink I think anytime you try to make a general comment about adding or removing a pressure point you are asking for the next one to prove you wrong.

Not limited to the ruger but I've had best accurace with and without a point. Normally if I was willing to find the right load without was usually better.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If you are going to use a pressure point, you'll want to make sure the contact is centered and uniform. On a scoped rifle, the quickest way to tell is with the use of a boresighter.

With the action out of the stock, center the scope to the boresighters grid, then, without disturbing the boresighter, reinstall the barreled action in the stock and check the location of the cross hairs. Uneven and off centered pressure can't hide from a boresighter. Ideally you want the cross hairs to remain unchanged whether the barreled action is in or out of the stock.

I use and recommend a magnetic boresighter like the Leupold. It won't damage the finest bore of crown. Be sure to place a small piece of paper between the magnet and the barrel so you don't mar the finish.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my Rugers have had the actions glass bedded and the barrels floated in that order. However they did not start out that way. they where good shooters before and then after a few years from one hunting season to the next something changed in the stock and the point of impact changed and they started stinging groups alittle. I have always thought that if they shot good dont mess with them other than adjust trigger. Naturally this problem showed up on the lighter barreled ones first and they where all wood stocked. The latest and last ruger I currently have is a heavy barrel 243 that i dicided to take to the range before hunting with it and the p.o. i. had changed about 1 1/2 " this one being heavy barreled struck me as strange and I need to check some things on it before altering anything. Hope this helps.

James

Posts: 130 | Location: Floresville,TX. | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote