New
Find
Notify
Tools

A-bolt actions, barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can any of you gentleman tell me how suitable the Browning A-bolt action for modifying ? By this i mean rechambering customizing ?

My reason for asking is Remington seem to be the gun of choice for such work. Are they more suitable then others ?

Would you customize a Browning or a Remington ?
Regards
Englander

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
Englander - I accurize a good many A-Bolts and build several rifles a year on them. I've always had good results with them . They have their own idiosyncrasies, just like every action, but I like them well.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Englander,

The choice would depend on what you had in mind. The Browning A-Bolt while a fine rifle in it's own right, is limited in what you can do compared to that of the Remington. There is a reason that Remington seems to be the choice and that is because they are better suited for customizing and modification.

The Remington action is heavier built and thus more solid than the A-Bolt. The Magazine system of the Remington is more adaptable to more calibers and styles than is the A-Bolts. The Remington bolt is better suited for caliber modification and is better adapted for a much improved extractor design than the A-Bolt.

Although I have had excellent results reworking the A-Bolt trigger, the Remington trigger is more durable and when reworked correctly, is more reliable than that of the A-Bolt.

There are more accessories available for the Remington, including stocks, triggers, scope mounts, bottom metal, magazine styles, tell me when to stop, extractor designs, bolt handles, guard screws, safeties...

Now for the number 1 reason to own a Remington over the A-Bolt, If you are out on a once in a lifetime hunt and you break something on your weapon, the odds are in your favor that you could stumble into someones camp and find replacement parts for your Remington. Of course, you may have to visit the camp at night to obtain the parts, but such is life...
[Smile]

Regards,

Malm