Notify
Tools

Stainless steel barrel Black/matte??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Hi,
Is there any possibility to giva a black or black/ matte finish to a shiny stainless steel barrel??
Thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
Yes, most definitely. We use GunKote on almost every rifle we build. It covers chrome-moly and stainless, and aluminum.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Lewis:
Yes, most definitely. We use GunKote on almost every rifle we build. It covers chrome-moly and stainless, and aluminum.

This GunKote, is it a powder coating? I�m trying to find someone in Sweden who can make my stainless rifle black.
/ Johan

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks John!!
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the bead blasted look on SS rifles. Many shops do this. If you compare a traditional blued steel gun to a bead blasted SS there is more glare from the blue gun!

The Ruger SS rifles have a bright glare to them and I don't favor that at all. I like the finish on the M 70's.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Lindberg,

You can get your rifle black cromed in Sweden which is not that bad. I will cost a few crowns but will stick on better than some of the paint coatings.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an Armalite AR10 barrel black oxide coated by Olympic Arms. The black oxide is a flat black. I'm not sure exactly, but I think the Ruger V/LE rifles are black oxided as well.

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is an Olympic Arms finish on a Win SS .375

-

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm having my SS barrel on my Whelen matte teflon coated as we speak or read and write :-)

Will post pics as soon as I get it back!

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<birddog25>
posted
I use LCW Dura Coat, on a SS Lilja barrel and it seems to be holding up very well. If your interested Midway sells it.